Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Unappreciative people question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/unappreciative-people-question-t24895.html)

joeyoz 09-02-2009 11:45 AM

Some people are just not into crafty things, but who could ever say no to a quilt?

Joey

MadQuilter 09-02-2009 12:08 PM

Nope, I do not hesitate at all: People who do not appreciate quilts don't get one. My list of people who would appreciate a quilt is too long as is, I do not have time or energy to waste on the others. I also believe that they do not bemoan the fact that they are off the list.

Lisanne 09-02-2009 12:09 PM

I wouldn't go to the time and effort of making a quilt (or other craft) for someone who wouldn't appreciate it. That isn't a failing on their part, just a difference in tastes.

When I give a gift, I try to choose something that the recipient will be thrilled to have. The point of giving is to make them happy.

When I get a gift that someone made or chose without regard to my tastes, it creates a bad feeling for me. I'm not talking about someone trying and going wrong. I mean when someone knows I don't really like something and insists on giving it to me anyway. If it's the thought that counts, that sends the message that they were only giving me something out of a sense of duty, and that they didn't bother to remember that I hate the kind of thing they gave (scented anything being a prime example for me).

sewjoyce 09-02-2009 12:56 PM

I wouldn't make them a quilt. I don't think she would appreciate all the time, money and LOVE it takes to make one....

Elsie 09-02-2009 03:36 PM

i gave quilts to people that i don't know that will take care of them but i gave it to them for the love for them i don't gave a gift and expect them to love it or what they do with it it a gift of love that counts with me i show them i love them to work hard to make something for them.

deedum 09-02-2009 04:45 PM

I only give my quilts to people who will "love them" :!:

Bltg54 09-03-2009 06:43 AM

I do not think I would go to the trouble and expense to make a quilt for anyone that could not apprecialte it. Life is just too short.

NCMtnHigh 09-03-2009 06:52 AM

Please don't give up on quilting. It's not the quilt's fault !! It's the people who do appreciate the time and effort that goes into making a quilt. Do it for YOU ... no one else. Then, donate the quilts to nursing homes, or to Walter Reed Hospital for the veterans. That's worthwhile and extremely rewarding.

NCMtnHigh 09-03-2009 06:54 AM

Oops !! Meant to say it's the fault of the people who do NOT appreciate your handiwork. Keep quilting for YOU.

MsSage 09-03-2009 06:54 AM

Why did you think about making a quilt for them to begin with? If it was something your heart told you to do then do it NO MATTER what you think they will or will not feel or treat the quilt.
You never know what will trigger something in another person...it might take months or years but you need to act on that small voice.

I taught my SIL how to knit I only knew the basics but I spent maybe 2 hours and then a couple mins another day showing her how to get started. She has become a GREAT knitter but it also was the one thing that truely binded her and I together. I never knew about that for years later and a messy Divorce but as I said she is my SIL and will always be.