Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uneasy feeling about quilts donated to Ronald McDonald House (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uneasy-feeling-about-quilts-donated-ronald-mcdonald-house-t38197.html)

newestnana 03-02-2010 06:19 PM

If the quilts were sold, I would assume the monies received were used to help with expenses running the house, so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like having a craft sale to benefit a charity.

This is a lesson to all of us to be specific when we make a donation.

zz-pd 03-02-2010 08:34 PM

If you made the quilts for children, not for sale, there is a bid difference. please get to the bottom of this matter. and please post what you find out.

Prism99 03-02-2010 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana
This is a lesson to all of us to be specific when we make a donation.

I just want to point out that the original poster *had* been specific about the donation!

Ellen 1 03-02-2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
I donate quilts regularly and frequently to many charitable organizations and never thought I would be writing this.
*******deleted part of message****
Would you let the matter drop or would you contact national headquarters?

I would not try to re-contact these two. They have shown that they will not respond to you. BUT, I would be like a dog with a bone on my way up the ladder trying to get a response and know why they were "selling" a donation. Keep us posted on the response you get or if you decide to let it go. Ellen

Margie 03-02-2010 09:06 PM

I fund a project for pillowcases for children. Although I did mail once to an airforce base cancer unit, I give them regularly to our local RMH. I think they are wonderful and do such a good job with families. They are so excited when I bring in the pillowcases. Because they are so wonderful, I would definitely get to the root of what happened. It makes the whole organization look bad ...IF someone is doing something they shouldnt with donations. I believe RMH would want to know.

I am anxious to hear exactly what happened.

Margie

garysgal 03-02-2010 09:32 PM

I agree-find out what is going on. It may not be illegal for a charity to say one thing and do another, but it is definatly unethical. Not only that, but if they are selling donated quilts, where is the money going? Maybe they decided to sell them to rais money for the cause? In any case, they owe you an explanination because you donated the quilts in good faith thinking they would be given out to those that need them.And since you were contacted by someone who bought your donated quilt, you need to find out why you were told one thing and another happend. The fact that they won't contact you is suspicious. It is true that when you give, it is out of your hands, but we aren't talking about pwesonally donating a quilt to a neighbor because their house burned down,we are talking about a charity that has a name to uphold and the public should know if something not right is going on. Please let us know how this turns out.

Ellen 1 03-02-2010 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
I donate quilts regularly and frequently to many charitable organizations and never thought I would be writing this.
*******deleted part of message****
Would you let the matter drop or would you contact national headquarters?

I would not try to re-contact these two. They have shown that they will not respond to you. BUT, I would be like a dog with a bone on my way up the ladder trying to get a response and know why they were "selling" a donation. Keep us posted on the response you get or if you decide to let it go. Ellen

And another thought I had....why is the RMH giving your name and number to "anyone"??? I don't understand this either. Ellen

Bev 03-03-2010 09:51 AM

Odessa mentioned that possibly the person who asked to buy one of our original poster's quilts might not have gotten the facts straight. That set off a little buzzer in my mind. Is it possible that this woman used the word "bought" when she should have used "received?" She may have been mixed up when she was writing. In which case she started an awful tempest in a teapot. I hope the original woman can be contacted so that we all can learn if this is simply some sort of a mixup in word usage.

OdessaQuilts 03-03-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bev
Odessa mentioned that possibly the person who asked to buy one of our original poster's quilts might not have gotten the facts straight. That set off a little buzzer in my mind. Is it possible that this woman used the word "bought" when she should have used "received?" She may have been mixed up when she was writing. In which case she started an awful tempest in a teapot. I hope the original woman can be contacted so that we all can learn if this is simply some sort of a mixup in word usage.

Thank you, Bev, for putting my thoughts into more eloquent words. That is exactly what I was trying to say. I suspect that there was some kind of "error" on the part of the woman who wanted to have another quilt made for her own use. She clearly liked EQ's work, or she would not have contacted her in the first place, IMHO.

Also, since EQ took the donations in herself, and discussed the intent/usage with the director in a face-to-face conversation, it seems odd that this has happened. The biggest problem here (as I see it), is a lack of quality communication between the parties involved. This communication breakdown seems to be the crux of the matter.

Extreme Quilter, have you followe up with RMH or it's governing body? Do you have any update for us on the status of your situation? We are all curious to know exactly what has happened since your original post.

Odessa

ddrobins1956 03-03-2010 03:54 PM

I'm thinking it may not be Ronald McDonald house that is at fault, but perhaps the staff at this particular House that is not following procedure. This needs to be looked into, as the Ronald McDonald Houses offer a wonderful service to countless families across the country. I wouldn't let this one incident deter you from making charity quilts. Neither would I let this matter go without getting to the bottom of what happened to your quilt.