Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used cutting blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-cutting-blades-t190208.html)

lfstamper 05-28-2012 05:47 PM

I send mine to LP Sharp and buy new blades from them. Works great for me.

snipforfun 05-28-2012 06:23 PM

I love my Tru Sharp electric sharpener. Got it from joann.com. If its not on sale you can use a coupon

momjoy6 05-28-2012 07:28 PM

I have one of those sharpeners that you run your rotary cutter through like a knife sharpener, I guess you'd say. It works for a few times and gets you a lot farther than you'd get w/o it. But I recently found the Titanium blades and they really are longer lasting. You eventually have to sharpen/replace them but it takes a LOT longer to dull them. Then I usually just keep them in the plastic case they came in. I guess I haven't gotten to the point that I had one full yet and had to decide what to do w/it from there. Someday soon I will, I'm sure.

justastitchintime 05-28-2012 07:35 PM

I got one of those sharpeners that you leave the blade in and run it across it. It's read... can't remember the brand. It works AWESOME! I get 10 times the life out of a blade... matter of fact unless it gets really nicked from hitting the ruler or something it seems to last forever.

justastitchintime 05-28-2012 07:42 PM

red, not "read"... ooops... and the brand is TrueCut. Got it from Nancy's Notions.

kuntryquilter 05-29-2012 03:38 AM

I have used the blade sharpener, it works okay for a little while. I save the old blades to cut paper, until they no longer cut paper, then take them to the dump.

coopah 05-29-2012 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 5248876)
I have heard-on here maybe- there is a place you can send your old blades.
As far as the sharpener i have heard good and bad. my DD has one that she is pleased with. She is 1 1/2 hrs from anyplace that sells blades so she has gotten a lot of use from it.

I put mine in a container with old/broken needles then seal it up to throw away

Check the archives. There was a good discussion on this a few weeks back with the address of the place where you could send your old blades and get new ones terrifically reasonable. I don't have the address, sorry. Maybe someone else will see this and give the address again.

judyc62 05-29-2012 04:16 AM

Used machine needles and rotary blades disposal

I have a plastic container that I put my used needles /blades into. When I fill it up, I put the container in my reycle bin. It is labeled. If you have a recyling program in your area this is where things like this can be disposed of. In the landfill does no one any good. But recyling does.
jc

Homespun 05-29-2012 04:24 AM

I bought one of those orbital sharpeners but did not have any luck with it. I sharpen better running the blade through folded aluminum foil. At first it sounds rough but eventually cuts very well.

quiltmom04 05-29-2012 04:38 AM

I put mine back in an old blade container, and when it's full, I tape it shut- really tape it good - and throw it out. I know some quilters use round containers, like a small Pringles can to put used blades until you can tape it shut and throw it out.