Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used cutting blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-cutting-blades-t190208.html)

damaquilts 05-29-2012 04:47 AM

I have a bunch that I have been saving. I need to send them off.. I have the little blue hand sharpener and it does make the blade last a little longer.. Enough so I feel I get my moneys worth. :-) I would much rather send them off and get the resharpened ones than toss them..

Grace MooreLinker 05-29-2012 04:57 AM

Thanks,sounds like everyone has the same problem ,safety is a factor in putting them in the garbage. I have a big enough container that it will be ages before throwing it out. I haven't had much luck with sharping them. Harbor frieght one come cheap and last long enough.

dlong 05-29-2012 05:11 AM

An old plastic milk jug works great for disposing of sharp objects like needles, pins and rotary blades. Use one that has a screw on lid and cut a small slot in the upper side. When ready to throw away just put some packing tape around the jug where the slot is. Items inside are visible so everyone knows to be careful and the plastic is heavy enough to prevent the items from puncturing. Nurses have been telling diabetics to use these jugs to dispose of their sharp supplies for years.

skjack 05-29-2012 05:13 AM

I buy my blades at Harbor Frieght. they are called carpet blades. Just got some week ago 2 blades for $1.99 at this price and just put in a new and throw away the old ones. I tried using the sharpners they will get ou by to you can get a new blade if you don't have one... I have the round blue one.

judord 05-29-2012 06:51 AM

I have used the blade sharpener's for years; and yes, they do work. I just love mine.
Judy

justme CA 05-29-2012 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by liont (Post 5248777)
Hope you don't mind me adding to the question ;)
Anyone tried those blade sharpers? Do they work?

I worked and worked with them with no noticeable results. There was an address in the Quilting Magazines for a place some time ago that you mailed them in and got sharpened ones back. I sent some there and they WERE sharper. But I don't have the address anymore, try Google?

twinkie 05-29-2012 07:44 AM

My DH sharpens my blades and they are good for several more cuts after that. I always save the containers the blades come in and put the used blades (for discard) in those containers. Then when I go into town I take them to my doctors office and they let me put them in the bio hazard container.
]

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker (Post 5248758)
I have been keeping my used rotary cutter blades in a plastic container, now my question is How do you dispose of them safely?
Is there some place that recycles them?

AnnaPP 05-29-2012 07:59 AM

Don't have time to read all the replies so hope this isn't a duplicate. I have one of those sharpeners and I think it gives you alittle more use. With a 40% off coupon I think it is worth the money.

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker (Post 5248758)
I have been keeping my used rotary cutter blades in a plastic container, now my question is How do you dispose of them safely?
Is there some place that recycles them?

roserips 05-29-2012 08:51 AM

I bought a sharps container from the pharmacy and have it on my sewing table for blades, bent pins anything sharp, when it gets full all I have to do is drop it off at the pharmacy and they are safely disposed of and I have my container to refill granted it takes a long time to fill but it works great and is easy to see in my piles of stuff.

shelrox 05-29-2012 10:47 AM

I had purchased the one from Grace Quilting, it works FANTASTIC. I have even sharpened a blade with a nick in it. It was not cheap but for me well worth it, I think I paid about $60 for it and with the way I go through blades I have about balanced out.

Originally Posted by liont (Post 5248777)
Hope you don't mind me adding to the question ;)
Anyone tried those blade sharpers? Do they work?