Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Used cutting blades

Lightbulb Used cutting blades

I have been keeping my used rotary cutter blades in a plastic container, now my question is How do you dispose of them safely?
    Is there some place that recycles them?
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Hope you don't mind me adding to the question
    Anyone tried those blade sharpers? Do they work?

I hope some one knows the answer to the blade sharpeners because I keep mine too.

I put mine in a small box and write dangerous blades and toss it in the garbage. We have had people go through garbage and I would not want anyone to get cut.

I sandwich mine used blades and needles between duct tape and throw away.

I have heard-on here maybe- there is a place you can send your old blades.
    As far as the sharpener i have heard good and bad. my DD has one that she is pleased with. She is 1 1/2 hrs from anyplace that sells blades so she has gotten a lot of use from it.

I put mine in a container with old/broken needles then seal it up to throw away

Maybe someone that sells scrap medal would take them. They are getting high price for medal.

Blog Entries
    I resharpen mine a few times with a little round hand sharpener, not the greatest but helps extend the life. Then when I decide to pitch them, have a CLEAR plastic jelly jar I put them in so they can be seen. Get it full, pitch it, but don't see it getting full in this life times. Maybe a smaller jar.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Blog Entries
    I resharpen mine a couple of times then put them between cardboard and tape together and throw into the garbage. Putting a caution sign on it might be a good idea.

I wrap mine in several layers of wrapping tape or duct tape and then just throw them in the garbage. Years ago, we lived in a house where the former owner had an opening in the medicine cabinet. He used to place his used safety razor blades there. It was a wonderful solution for HIM.

When we went to redo the bathroom, we ripped out the sheetrock and were faced with a cascade of used razor blades tumbling all over the floor. We had to be very careful with that project.
    Arlene

I keep the plastic containers that the blades come in, I fill it up with used blades and when full, carefully tape it closed and toss it in the trash.

I use the blade sharpener and it works great. Really helps extend the life of the blade! One side is for sharpening and one side is for knicks!

Quote Originally Posted by MiaA View Post
    I keep the plastic containers that the blades come in, I fill it up with used blades and when full, carefully tape it closed and toss it in the trash.
    This is what I do. In the mean time, if I need to cut some paper or vinyl flooring or something else, I use one of my old blades to do that kind of work.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I also use the duct tape method - never occurred to me to try to recycle or sharpen them...
    Shannon

I put mine back in the plastic "case" they come in and wrap duct tape or other tape around that and then put in with garbage. I am always afraid though that somehow it might not be safe enough.

Blog Entries
    I am a nurse, so I take them to work and toss them in the sharps disposal container. Maybe a pharmacy would let you put the blades in their container.

Blog Entries
    I put mine in a small sour cream container with a slit cut in the top to drop rotary blades , bent straight pins, and dull needles. When full I put the container in the recycle bin with tape across slit and warning written on lid of contents. I have used the rotary blade sharper with success.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    i used to replace my old blades in the plastic container they came in- tape it all over with duct tape-and put them in the trash- then i found out that our hardware store would take them ( as part of their recycling program- along with batteries and a few other things that are hard to get rid of.) so now i place them in a tin-with a lid and when i am heading to the hardware for something i take them along- i don't know what they do with them- and don't care-even if they sharpen them & sell them- it's ok with me- i don't have to worry about disposal- or anyone getting hurt.
    as for the sharpeners- i've had one for a number of years- to me it was more dangerous than changing them tends to be- i hate it- for me it is worth it to buy new ones- and one of those items i always add to my Christmas list- hubby usually buys me a couple of each size for stocking stuffers.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

LPSHARP.COM accepts used blades and offers sharp like blades for a reduced price. I have a stack of blades ready to go out in the mail to them. They also offer blades for purchase without sending in old blades.
    Last edited by aunt eunice; 05-28-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks, I'm going to try LPSharp. Those blades cost a fortune and other than on sale, the manufacturers have their way about the price they charge.

I have an extra rotary cutter that is marked "for paper only" and I save the used blades for cutting cardboard, poster board, paper, and when the husband needs something cut in the garage (like a mat or rug) I have them ready. You can also trade them in for new ones. The company will give you credit for each blade (like about $3.00) and you pay for a new one (much cheaper than some of the quilting companies) and you are recycling the blades. I will check my notes and see if I can find the url for everyone. Here it is: http://www.lpsharp.com/
    Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 05-28-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    Busy in Ohio

You can mail your blades to LP Sharp Company and you can exchange your old blades for new ones - must send at least 5 old blades and you can get new ones for $3.00 a blade. www.lpsharp.com. You can also buy blades for much less then retail even if you do not have trade-in. I have bought from this sight and they work pretty good- the blades you buy are re-sharpend. Check out the web site and they explain how to go about it.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I was real leery about the "True Sharp" Power Rotary Blade Sharpener and finally bought one. Well, I love it. It works so well. Wish I would have bought it sooner. I can make my blades last so much longer. I can tell it will save me $$$ in the long run. I usually have to change my blades out frequently, but now they last such a long time. No more buying a 5 pack. And for getting rid of the used ones...I just stick them back in their original containers and tape them up and throw them out...same as everyone else.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by liont View Post
    Hope you don't mind me adding to the question
    Anyone tried those blade sharpers? Do they work?
    I have 3 - none work
    Am told one needs to use before the blades go dull.

Banned
    I too keep mine in a plastic container.
    When it's full I tape it tightly closed and throw in garbage bag.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast