Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Used cutting blades

Couple times a year in Milwaukee we can take our paint and used motor oil and old electronics to a collection point at the fairgrounds. They also accept old medication because they don't want us to flush it. That's the time I get rid of my blades. I just figured they could be recycled.

i have one of those blade sharpeners and i love it i have been using the same blade for the last three months i use it till it starts to dull then i use my sharpener and off i go again good as new. i dont have the electric sharpener just the little manual one but i would not like to have to give it up. its been a money saver for me.

I take my used blades and needles and pins with me when I get my blood drawn and they are kind enough to dispose of them for me.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I'm still saving mine. One of these days, I'll invest in a sharpener.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I have never had much luck with the sharpeners. I tried the L.P. Sharp company and just got my first batch Saturday. They now replace your used ones with new ones. Great price and I feel better knowing the old ones are recycled.

I send mine to LP Sharp and buy new blades from them. Works great for me.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I love my Tru Sharp electric sharpener. Got it from joann.com. If its not on sale you can use a coupon

I have one of those sharpeners that you run your rotary cutter through like a knife sharpener, I guess you'd say. It works for a few times and gets you a lot farther than you'd get w/o it. But I recently found the Titanium blades and they really are longer lasting. You eventually have to sharpen/replace them but it takes a LOT longer to dull them. Then I usually just keep them in the plastic case they came in. I guess I haven't gotten to the point that I had one full yet and had to decide what to do w/it from there. Someday soon I will, I'm sure.

I got one of those sharpeners that you leave the blade in and run it across it. It's read... can't remember the brand. It works AWESOME! I get 10 times the life out of a blade... matter of fact unless it gets really nicked from hitting the ruler or something it seems to last forever.

red, not "read"... ooops... and the brand is TrueCut. Got it from Nancy's Notions.

Blog Entries
    I have used the blade sharpener, it works okay for a little while. I save the old blades to cut paper, until they no longer cut paper, then take them to the dump.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    I have heard-on here maybe- there is a place you can send your old blades.
    As far as the sharpener i have heard good and bad. my DD has one that she is pleased with. She is 1 1/2 hrs from anyplace that sells blades so she has gotten a lot of use from it.

I put mine in a container with old/broken needles then seal it up to throw away
    Check the archives. There was a good discussion on this a few weeks back with the address of the place where you could send your old blades and get new ones terrifically reasonable. I don't have the address, sorry. Maybe someone else will see this and give the address again.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Used machine needles and rotary blades disposal

I have a plastic container that I put my used needles /blades into. When I fill it up, I put the container in my reycle bin. It is labeled. If you have a recyling program in your area this is where things like this can be disposed of. In the landfill does no one any good. But recyling does.
    jc

I bought one of those orbital sharpeners but did not have any luck with it. I sharpen better running the blade through folded aluminum foil. At first it sounds rough but eventually cuts very well.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

I put mine back in an old blade container, and when it's full, I tape it shut- really tape it good - and throw it out. I know some quilters use round containers, like a small Pringles can to put used blades until you can tape it shut and throw it out.

I have a bunch that I have been saving. I need to send them off.. I have the little blue hand sharpener and it does make the blade last a little longer.. Enough so I feel I get my moneys worth. :-) I would much rather send them off and get the resharpened ones than toss them..

Thanks,sounds like everyone has the same problem ,safety is a factor in putting them in the garbage. I have a big enough container that it will be ages before throwing it out. I haven't had much luck with sharping them. Harbor frieght one come cheap and last long enough.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

An old plastic milk jug works great for disposing of sharp objects like needles, pins and rotary blades. Use one that has a screw on lid and cut a small slot in the upper side. When ready to throw away just put some packing tape around the jug where the slot is. Items inside are visible so everyone knows to be careful and the plastic is heavy enough to prevent the items from puncturing. Nurses have been telling diabetics to use these jugs to dispose of their sharp supplies for years.

I buy my blades at Harbor Frieght. they are called carpet blades. Just got some week ago 2 blades for $1.99 at this price and just put in a new and throw away the old ones. I tried using the sharpners they will get ou by to you can get a new blade if you don't have one... I have the round blue one.

I have used the blade sharpener's for years; and yes, they do work. I just love mine.
    Judy
    Friendship is the fabric of our lives!

Quote Originally Posted by liont View Post
    Hope you don't mind me adding to the question
    Anyone tried those blade sharpers? Do they work?
    I worked and worked with them with no noticeable results. There was an address in the Quilting Magazines for a place some time ago that you mailed them in and got sharpened ones back. I sent some there and they WERE sharper. But I don't have the address anymore, try Google?

My DH sharpens my blades and they are good for several more cuts after that. I always save the containers the blades come in and put the used blades (for discard) in those containers. Then when I go into town I take them to my doctors office and they let me put them in the bio hazard container.
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker View Post
    I have been keeping my used rotary cutter blades in a plastic container, now my question is How do you dispose of them safely?
    Is there some place that recycles them?

Blog Entries
    Don't have time to read all the replies so hope this isn't a duplicate. I have one of those sharpeners and I think it gives you alittle more use. With a 40% off coupon I think it is worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker View Post
    I have been keeping my used rotary cutter blades in a plastic container, now my question is How do you dispose of them safely?
    Is there some place that recycles them?

I bought a sharps container from the pharmacy and have it on my sewing table for blades, bent pins anything sharp, when it gets full all I have to do is drop it off at the pharmacy and they are safely disposed of and I have my container to refill granted it takes a long time to fill but it works great and is easy to see in my piles of stuff.

I had purchased the one from Grace Quilting, it works FANTASTIC. I have even sharpened a blade with a nick in it. It was not cheap but for me well worth it, I think I paid about $60 for it and with the way I go through blades I have about balanced out.

Quote Originally Posted by liont View Post
    Hope you don't mind me adding to the question
    Anyone tried those blade sharpers? Do they work?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast