Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Used cutting blades

My small town transfer station (formerly known as dump) does recycle steel, but tossing small wrapped up rotary blades into a 30' dumpster filled with scrap iron just doesn't seem logical to me at all. Mine get put into an empty blade contaner, wrapped with duct tape and tossed in the regular garbage. We don't have landfills anymore, so they go off to the incinerator just like the rest of the trash. No one handles them.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

One of the ladies from my quilt guild brought one to the meeting and she said she had tried all kinds of sharpeners and none would work right. She brought one from Nancy's Notions. She swears by it. I can't think of the name of it..but it's sort of long looking..runs around $39 unless it's on sale..than about $29. I haven't tried it yet...but she loves hers.

i have never used this site - but i guess to can send them in and get a discount on new blades. I think they just ask that they get sent in the little yellow package they come in when you buy them. when i get a couple more used ones built up i plan on sending mine in.

Geez. I had forgotten about those slots in the bathroom medicine closet! I sharpen my blades a time or two, oil them well, and use a while longer. I keep the container they came in, fill it up, tape it shut and discard.

I also resharpen my blades and when they get dull so that it doesn't appear as if I want to use them I use them to cut batting, paper ( cardmaking) also make good scrappers - for one of us who paints the walls, trim and glass windows. HAHA The way to dispose them is put them in a plastic container with a tightly fitted lid, tape the lid and then dispose of them into the garbage. Olfa actually sells unit you can put your blades into to dispose of.

This is where I send my used blades, been doing business with this company since 1992. http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html

I take mine to the local junk yard, they will gladly take them, since I believe the blades are aluminum or stainless steel, they will be recycled that way.
    Aronel aka Lee

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    This is where I send my used blades, been doing business with this company since 1992. http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html
    Thanks for the info. I had seen them before, but didn't know anyone who used them. I have also tried the aluminum foil trick and it does work (running the blade across folded aluminum foil).

I have used LP Sharp and he does a great job. You can find his ad in most
    quilting magazines with the address. I sandwich them between cardboard
    and put in a padded envelope before mailing them. Reasonable price too.
    I have been looking at the new electric sharpner, but the cost??? I could
    have LP sharpned lots of blades before I spent that much. JMHO

Blog Entries
    I've been using a blade sharpener for about 7 years now and have had great success with it.

I keep mine, I will look in my files, cause there is a place where you can send them and they will send you blades back, refurbished I would call them, but at least you get sharpened blades to work with. I will check and see where this place is and get back to you all.

yes i bought a sharper from walmart the blue one it has two sides you put the blade ine there and sharpen on one side then turn it around and sharpern the other side and the blade is sharpen it works real good it sharpens them and keeps me from throwing them away
    benson1

Here it is ladies lpsharp.com/3.html you can get Olfa blades or generic blades really good prices. I am sending mine there.

Quote Originally Posted by debrawoods View Post
    LPSHARP.COM accepts used blades and offers sharp like blades for a reduced price. I have a stack of blades ready to go out in the mail to them. They also offer blades for purchase without sending in old blades.
    Thanks I'll try LPSHARP.COM
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker View Post
    I have been keeping my used rotary cutter blades in a plastic container, now my question is How do you dispose of them safely?
    Is there some place that recycles them?
    go to goggle and look up L.P. Sharpe.....I send all mine to him to either replace or you can have him sharpen and return. I think hes still in business...it was about a year ago I sent him a dozen of them to replace.
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Blog Entries
    I have used blade sharpeners with limited sucess. I use packing tape to tape them to the lid of a soup can, etc. then toss into my recycling. The tape is clear so anyone can see what they are picking up and they are smaller than the lid so the edges of the lid keep you from getting cut. I did this recently at our beach house because I couldn't figure out any other way to toss mine into the recycling without getting cut on it later when I sorted it upon my arrival back to home base with a bag full of recycling.

I love the "jar" idea - I use old pill bottles for my bent pins and needles and when it gets full, I seal it up and toss them into the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
    I hope some one knows the answer to the blade sharpeners because I keep mine too.
    I paid a pretty penny for a blade sharpener and found it as useful as a wart on a pickle. I have never talked to anyone who was satisfied with the blade sharpener for rotary cutters. But I do wish there were one that worked. froggyintexas

Yes, they do work. I've sharpened some of my blades more than once

I have wrapped them with duct tape as someone mentioned. Lately I've been saving the containers that hold a 5 pack and marking "used" on it til it is full and then throwing that away.

I manually have to sharpen my blades, but I do try to buy them at Walmart when I can. A while back I thought I read where someone on here were getting blades from Harbor Freight. I know that many quilters shop at the hardware for quilting supplies.
    Linda King
    Linda King

blade sharpners

Quote Originally Posted by liont View Post
    Hope you don't mind me adding to the question
    Anyone tried those blade sharpers? Do they work?
    You have to make sure your blades are really dull before you use your sharpeners.

I have purchased the blade sharpener by Grace products, I love it! I have resharpened blades at least 10 times and they are still good. I had even had one with a nick in it and no problems. the sharpener was pricey, but well worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma58 View Post
    I hope some one knows the answer to the blade sharpeners because I keep mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by liont View Post
    Hope you don't mind me adding to the question
    Anyone tried those blade sharpers? Do they work?
    I tried the blade sharpeners and no it did not work - I ended up returning it!
    Love 4 stchen

I put my bad, dull blades into an old Altoid box...it is marked SHARPS on tape. When it is full I wrap it up with packing tape so that the sharps still shows thru.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

In our area, we're able to get a 'sharps' container from the county health department (like they use for needles). When it is full we can take it to the health department and they recycle along with theirs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast