Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used long arm price help needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-long-arm-price-help-needed-t306105.html)

The Quilted Cottage 08-03-2019 04:58 PM

Yes, I agree. I was surprised when she said she rents it out occasionally. That was not mentioned in the "lightly used" ad description. Bugs me a little. I asked about stitch count but she did not know so she ent a text to Mike at Innova. He said her machine didn't have that feature. So I don't know how to tell how much use it's actually had. I don't want to spend that kind of money and then have a major repair soon after.

quiltingshorttimer 08-03-2019 05:46 PM

not considering price, the fact that the "lightly used" one at the "private" dealer would probably not be the route I'd go just because I know that rental machines do get lots of use and often from people that are not as careful with them, or don't know how to use them. But I'd add that while I don't have an Innova, I do know that they are built to last.

Ariannaquilts 08-03-2019 07:31 PM

Personally I would try to work out a better price with the dealer and get that one, it just sounds like a better deal to me. Just my opinion I hope everything works out for you!

MamaLinda 08-04-2019 04:39 AM

I for one am curious about your decision. Good luck and let us know!

zozee 08-04-2019 06:03 AM

In my book the seller has a few strikes against her.
1. The machine has been rented for probably three years. She said “lightly used.” Not true.
2. She is not a private party, she’s a business woman. False advertising.
3. Her price is high.
4. The vibration— is this why she is selling it, I wonder?
5. She is 1.5 hrs from you so you would have to transport and aet up , and with a used machine, would she offer any support afterward if you meed it? My gut says no even if she says yes, because she already has been dishonest with 1 and 2.

I don’t deal with anyone who has given me that niggling feeling. i would pay more for full conference.

sewnclog 08-04-2019 06:19 AM

I purchased a "gently loved" (that's what they called it) Gammill several years ago; the person who had owned it traded it in for a computerized one. They threw in 10 large spools of thread; I could pick 10 pantos, a bunch of extra accessories; or parts for replacement a 4 foot ruler and delivered it and set it up for free AND demo'd it for me. They are 3 hours from me. I love it and use it quite a bit. Good luck with whichever one you choose; you'll get years of enjoyment and use from it.

Ellen 1 08-04-2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mkc (Post 8284869)
Does not sound like "lightly used" or really "private party" to me. If used for a business, she has already been able to write some or all of it off as a business expense.

Personally, the dealer one sounds like a much better deal - known dealer support, warranty, classes, and likely much less use for what is really not a whole lot more. Plus the dealer can deliver and set up, albeit for a cost, but that is a lot less hassle and concern to deal with.

I agree with mkc. If rented out it is not “gently used”. Also seemed to me that if the lady knew you were driving 1.5 hrs to see the machine, she would not have rented it to someone else to use during the time you said you would be there.

Also, when I bought my Gammill I had them set it up. So glad I did. Mine had to be completely broken down and pushed through a window (a very small window—barely fit because I have an older house) to get into my basement because the frame was too long to turn the corner at the foot of the stairs. Have you considered something like this happening? (I had not).

osewme 08-04-2019 08:34 AM

First let me say I know nothing about long arm quilting machines. However, that being said, since you will be going to the Houston International Quilt Show in Oct/Nov is it possible that you could purchase one for a discount from the ones they use in classes? Seems like I've heard of that before on other machines and that they give FULL warranty on them even though they were used in the classes. I'm sure an Innova dealer will be at the show that could give you more insight and possibly a better deal. Of course Oct/Nov is quite a ways away & the one you are considering may be sold by then if you don't buy now.

Tothill 08-04-2019 08:53 AM

Di,

I am glad you took your time with the machine and asked questions. I think your offer was more than fair, especially considering the seller was not upfront in her ad regarding the rental use and being a business owner.

Have you called Innova to ask what may be causing the vibration? I would ask that question before going any further.

I would also call them to ask how to check the stitch count. It seems somewhat unbelievable that they cannot determine it on a 5 year old machine. My HQ is 15 years old and it is very easy to check the stitch count.

Now I do not put too much weight on stitch count, these machines are designed to have millions upon millions of stitches. I would be more concerned about buying a rental machine.

If she has been using it as a rental for the past 3 years, she has been both making money off the machine and having a business write off. Her asking for basically what she paid for it is pushing her luck. I am glad you offered about 75% of her asking price.

The Quilted Cottage 08-04-2019 10:26 AM

Good morning! First let me say you all are awesome! I truly appreciate the advice you have given. Thank you!

I have decided not to purchase the used machine from the business owner. I spent the rest of yesterday with an uneasy feeling about it so decided to trust my gut feelings, which have rarely failed me. I have test driven nearly every longarm numerous times but always come back to the Innova. And every time I have put my hands on an Innova's handles I have loved the machine. But this morning I woke up with a clear head and the first thought was I did not love that machine yesterday! Maybe it's just me, but if it's going to live in my home, I gotta love it! lol!

Tothill, yes, that vibration is a real concern. And I'm almost certain there is a way to see the stitch count because I seem to remember being shown that feature at a show. That whole interaction with that question to the seller was weird and evasive. As well as the rental revelation. As for price, she was using the new pricing, plus tax and delivery to determine her selling price. I politely let her know that a new machine had no use other than testing (definitely not rental use!) with full warranty, and that my offer was based on her used machine price and depreciation. She was somewhat flustered after that but did not refuse my offer. Still I have not heard back from her so I assume she really wants her price.

As for the customer using the machine she was trying to sell me, that was already arranged. Still I do agree the ad should have included the rental use info.

So my plan going forward (which was my original plan) is to take the Innova certification class at the sub dealer here in So. California (our dealer is in northern California). That will be in September. Then I will rent one of her machines a few times to really get a feel for how they should perform. As I said earlier, I am not in a rush to buy. Also, I am taking two longarm classes at HIQF - one with Jamie Wallen and one with Bethanne Nemesh (sp?), both using Innova machines. By that time I should be well informed in my buying decision.

Di