Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used long arm price help needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-long-arm-price-help-needed-t306105.html)

mkc 08-04-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Quilted Cottage (Post 8285158)
So my plan going forward (which was my original plan) is to take the Innova certification class at the sub dealer here in So. California (our dealer is in northern California). That will be in September. Then I will rent one of her machines a few times to really get a feel for how they should perform. As I said earlier, I am not in a rush to buy. Also, I am taking two longarm classes at HIQF - one with Jamie Wallen and one with Bethanne Nemesh (sp?), both using Innova machines. By that time I should be well informed in my buying decision.

Di

Excellent plan and congrats on being able to keep your common sense on this!

Doing the certification class then renting a machine for several projects is an outstanding way to test things out. I did that when I first started looking (still haven't bought but am also almost definitely going Innova when I finally bite the bullet), and it eliminated a brand from my short list.

The Quilted Cottage 08-04-2019 01:28 PM

Thanks, mkc! I did hear back from her. She countered at $12,500, then reduced it another $150 because she wanted to replace the bobbin winder for me since the old one was having some problem. I believe she is honest about her machine and it's condition but I would feel better if it had a recent dealer check up and clean bill of health. I'm not good at purchasing used large ticket items. I'm just not experienced enough to know if I'm heading into a major repair nightmare.

I hope you get what you want, too. And have a great experience doing so! And I hope the info in this thread will help others in their decision making.

mkc 08-04-2019 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Quilted Cottage (Post 8285209)
Thanks, mkc! I did hear back from her. She countered at $12,500, then reduced it another $150 because she wanted to replace the bobbin winder for me since the old one was having some problem.

I still think the 1 year old dealer machine is a much better deal, even at the higher price

I hope you get what you want, too. And have a great experience doing so! And I hope the info in this thread will help others in their decision making.
Thanks! I almost bought a sit-down Innova at a quilt show because I instantly bonded with it (it was an OMG moment - and I played and played and didn't want to stop), but I really hate doing the quilt sandwiching and we were moving within the year, so I held off and do think I'll be going the longarm route. Fortunately, I'm less than 2 hours from a really well-regarded Innova dealer that usually has a number of options, both Innova and other brands, available used.

Michelle

Battle Axe 08-05-2019 02:44 AM

I would opt for the set up and lessons.

When I bought mine, the owner was moving to the opposite end of the state. I really needed lessons. Then the bank said, you'd better rent out that apartment that this machine is sitting in. Now the frame is in the garage and the head is in a box in the living room. My one hip hurts when I quilt on it. So now I need to decide if I want to keep it and get a computer program to run it, or what.