Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Value of wedding quilt for my son (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/value-wedding-quilt-my-son-t197914.html)

lisalovesquilting 08-18-2012 04:32 AM

Value of wedding quilt for my son

I am making a wedding quilt for my son and DIL. It is king size and all batik bought from LQS. By the time I am finished it will have cost A LOT. I don't begrudge the cost at all. My problem is how to impress on them how valuable it is so they will take good care of it. I don't want to come right out and tell them how much money has gone into it. Please give me your thoughts on this.

AshleyR 08-18-2012 04:35 AM

Can you get it appraised and give the appraisal with it?

Phannie1 08-18-2012 04:39 AM

I was at Lancaster, PA last month and the Amish quilts they had for sale at some places where priced at $775.00. They were very beautiful but that is why I quilt. I can make for less.. But They were beautiful.

sewgray 08-18-2012 04:41 AM

Why can't you tell them how much money and love and work and time has gone into it? Some people really have no idea.

Quiltngolfer 08-18-2012 04:43 AM

Write a little tie on tag to go with it that explains how to take care of it. For example, "I am your wedding quilt. If you take proper care of me, I will last many years. I like to be washed.... I never want to be.... Etc.

joyce888 08-18-2012 04:50 AM

Did you save the receipts from the fabric? And if you had it LA,d did you get and save the receipt? If you quilted it yourself, did you keep track of the hours and expense of thread, batting, etc.? All of this along with a pic of the quilt can be kept as a "proof of value" for homeowners or renters insurance. I would offer them the information (or keep it for them) so they could have the value added to their insurance policy. I know it's uncomfortable to tell someone the value of a gifted quilt but think of it this way, if you had purchased something off the bridal registry they would know the cost.

QuiltMom2 08-18-2012 04:51 AM

If your son/daughter-in-law to be have over the years been exposed to quilting, your son might surprise you by really appreciating the love, time, effort (and yes, money) in your gift. If it's heirloom quality I'd say get an appraisal. I gift a lot of quilts, some of which I wish I had had appraised but I confess: I want my quilts used, hopefully for years. God bless their marriage and lives together

Tartan 08-18-2012 05:15 AM

I think I would stress the sentemental value over the monetary. Find a little poem or write one about the love and care you put into every stitch. It could go with a card on how to care for their new treasure. If you tell them just how much you spent on it they will be afraid to use it. It would be sad if it was folded away in a drawer to protect it.

ArtsyOne 08-18-2012 05:17 AM

If they were to have a fire or a theft, their insurance company would insist on valuations in order to pay the claim, so Joyce888's idea of providing receipts and value of time is a very good one and you can tell them that's why you're doing it.

sharon b 08-18-2012 05:21 AM

My kids already know the cost that is involved in making a quilt ( grumble about me spending their inheritance LOL) so maybe your son already knows ?

And sadly they will either "get it " or they won't about taking care and appreciating all the time , effort and money that went into the quilt . It is just like any other quilt , you have to give it away and let go and hope for the best :)