Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A Very Different Stack and Whack (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-different-stack-whack-t235059.html)

quilterpurpledog 11-20-2013 06:27 AM

I really like your quilt. It is a refreshing twist on the stack and whack idea. It is amazing how many of us missed it in Bethany Reynolds book. I went to find my book and sure enough-I had missed it. Since you want to enlarge it and since you found more fabric what about making some more squares to use in the enlargement? And, what about a narrow border of a solid or near solid fabric and use the original fabric for the final border? It would certainly create conversation as the viewers would enjoy trying how to figure out how you did it.

MargeD 11-20-2013 12:05 PM

Very different and unique. Something I've never seen before- thanks for sharing.

nancia 11-20-2013 02:42 PM

I'm doing a similar quilt that is in an alexandersonquilts book. I'm anxious now that i see it, to get going gung-ho! For whom are you making yours ? A great fabric for a hunter/camper! Do you have a summer cottage? It looks great!!

christi54 11-20-2013 02:52 PM

very cool looking

Podunk Princess 11-20-2013 03:14 PM

Really unusual but I like it! I've never seen one done like this. Seems like it would be much faster to piece than the other kaleidoscope style stack and whacks. Great fabrics!

Nammie to 7 11-20-2013 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie (Post 6414646)
I just had a thought about the border. I was trying to organize my spare room (which was overrun with fabric and I came across about 4 yards of the original fabric I used to do the stack and whack squares. What if I was to use that in the border as my final strip? Just asking. Let me know if you need pictures. Thanks

I like the idea of having the original fabric somewhere in the quilt so others can see what it started out like. You did a nice job on your quilt.

sewbizgirl 11-20-2013 04:13 PM

You are right... I've never seen it either. Quite unusual.

KLO 11-20-2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie (Post 6414646)
I just had a thought about the border. I was trying to organize my spare room (which was overrun with fabric and I came across about 4 yards of the original fabric I used to do the stack and whack squares. What if I was to use that in the border as my final strip? Just asking. Let me know if you need pictures. Thanks

That is exactly what I think I would do. It's nice to have the same fabric in the border if you can (or at least somewhere on the quilt if only on the back). It picks up on the center colors so you know it will "match" but looks different since it is not cut in pieces. Cannot wait to see it done as it is so interesting and unique.

RuthiesRetreat3 11-20-2013 04:48 PM

WOW! It looks like a Kaleidascope but without wedges. I love this. I'm gonna try one.

leighway 11-20-2013 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by franie (Post 6413868)
This is a very nice quilt. I have done lots of stack and whacks but not that one. I would put a dark border as someone mentioned to stop all that is going on in the middle then proceed to add other borders. What you have picked out for borders works well but a dark border maybe even after the light green and not before would work well I think. I would love to see the finished product.

I agree with this suggestion. I don't think I'd use the coordinating print...it seems to detract from the overall patterns, which are very pretty.