Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilt Retreat - March Edition 3-22-13 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilt-retreat-march-edition-3-22-13-a-t216483.html)

vickig626 03-21-2013 10:15 AM

Hope this works

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the 2 ombre fabrics I'm thinking of using for this project. I would like to use both colors with the same accent fabric. Then maybe do a pinwheel with the 2 colors (somehow) for the center.

The plan is to cut along each color shade from darkest to lightest.

If you don't think the 2 fabrics go together, I'll just plan to make 2 separate runners.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Emma S 03-21-2013 10:19 AM

Vicki, I think that will be such a great combination.

vickig626 03-21-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 5944096)
Vicki, I think that will be such a great combination.

Thanks. It works in my head so we'll see LOL I'll be cutting into these this evening so I'll know more tomorrow how I'm going to like this combo. This pic doesn't do the colors justice either. They're much richer (more like jewel tones).

And I love your fabrics. Which one is going to be the accent? That first color (looks like golden)? That would work up nice with your other fabrics. I'm assuming the print is the center square.

quilt addict 03-21-2013 02:00 PM

I haven't done a virtual quilting weekend before. But I do want to make a french braid quilt and this would be a good test on a small project that I may actually be able to finish. Looks like Mom-6 is well on her way. I am going to look in my stash and see what I can come up with. I am assuming that we need our center square to be ready by Friday so that will be my biggest thing.

Oh, supposed to be doing taxes this weekend.....don't tell anyone...

Emma S 03-21-2013 04:19 PM

Vicki: Re the accent color haven't decided yet. Thought I would wait for feedback from others before I made a decision. The scheme is so far off of the original graded tonal that I don't know if it will work. Cynthia pointed out two of her beautiful braids and one has some strikingly contrasting colors, which gives me some hope for mine to work. Yes the printed panel would be the center of the runner and was the real inspiration for my choices.

CarolynMT 03-21-2013 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 5942785)
Here is what I was thinking for my table runner Cynthia, thank you for your encouragement. At least on my computer these colors are close to what they are in real life. Opions please?

Ok, If it were me, I would start the braid with the gold (from the center out is how I "start") so the center panel square, then the gold, then the green/heart, then the blue/gold, then blue/white, then I might even go backwards and end with the gold. that will give you 8 strips per side which makes a decent sized runner. I would use the green solid/tonal as the accent color and binding. It would tie it all together without worrying about the jump in color.

CarolynMT 03-21-2013 05:45 PM

Ok ladies, I will have to apologize about not getting the instructions out fast enough today. Had to work late this week due to more stupid snow and then a guild meeting tonight. As soon as I finish my dinner, I will get the instructions written up and posted here/emailed out.

Mom-6 ......be sure when you iron the seam on the accent/strip that you iron it towards the longer part (the strip) this will really help when doing the braiding, the seams will nest.

Ashjoy 03-21-2013 06:52 PM

mom-6 03-21-2013 07:07 PM

Thanks for the tip! Will not get to do any sewing until Monday as I will be at Sherwood Forest Faire all weekend.

Emma S 03-21-2013 08:52 PM

Carolyn: Your great! Thanks for the suggestions and the encouragement. I just want to cary this to the logical end. I am just curious how it will turn out. What I am thinking now is even if it doesn't work I will still learn something.