Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walking foot spoiled. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-spoiled-t73311.html)

sewNso 10-30-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I use the IDT on my Pfaff for everything I sew. It just seems to work so much better.

what's and IDT?

sewNso 10-30-2010 06:38 PM

and what kind of pfaff's do you ladies have . i just love that pfaff grand quilter. got a frame to go with it, but really don't like using it, cause i have to turn the queens part way thru. etc. so i just quilt them 'free motion', in the ditch, straight stitch with the walking, apposing loops, stippling or whatever. know what i mean? i know when i ended up doing the last row of 12 inch blocks on this quilt, with the pfaff, i was thinking---'this thing sounds so strong, good' i just luv it.

quiltmaker 10-31-2010 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight

Originally Posted by maryb119
My Pfaff has one built in and yes, it is a wonderful thing to have.

Same here, love,love.love it!!!

Ditto for me also!

QuiltswithConvicts 10-31-2010 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso

Originally Posted by maryb119
My Pfaff has one built in and yes, it is a wonderful thing to have.

i was using my ''phaff grand quilter'. and i bought it used. it is just a straight sewing machine, no walking foot. boo hoo

i'm upstairs. i think my janome is a 6600. and i knew i was pushing my luck. it just was sounding funny. i almost took it to the shop last week, and didn't. but it has made i bet 50 queen quilts. plus numeroues baby, and twin quilts.

Better get your baby to the repairman quickly! I hope it isn't anything too major. Maybe something that a good cleaning will cure.

I love my 6600 & would expect the world to stop if anything every happened to it!

Good luck.

judylg 10-31-2010 05:19 AM

I did not realize that sewing machines had that feature with the walking foot, mine is an 'add on', alpha, I think, it cost me around 100.00, but so much heavier than the one that came with the machine. Which incidentally fell apart. My machine is a baby lock, I really like it. Some features on other machines have caught my eye lately. Another one, is the Janome, it has the button you push on top and do not need to use the foot pedal when free motion quilting. Now I read this, oh well, will stick with my Baby Lock, for now.

QuiltswithConvicts 10-31-2010 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by judylg
I did not realize that sewing machines had that feature with the walking foot, mine is an 'add on', alpha, I think, it cost me around 100.00, but so much heavier than the one that came with the machine. Which incidentally fell apart. My machine is a baby lock, I really like it. Some features on other machines have caught my eye lately. Another one, is the Janome, it has the button you push on top and do not need to use the foot pedal when free motion quilting. Now I read this, oh well, will stick with my Baby Lock, for now.

I have the Janome 6600P and it has the features you mentioned plus a boatload more - like auto thread cutter, knee lifter. I call the feature of auto sew "cruise control." It also works for just plain ole sewing too. It cost me $1999.

The new Horizon is similar with other features, but I believe they removed a few, that are on the 6600P, on the Horizon, like 2 motors so you can wind a bobbin while continuing to sew. I haven't found that to be a great big deal. It doesn't really take all that long to wind a bobbin. I don't always have 2 spools/cones of the same thread, so I need to stop and re-thread to wind a bobbin anyway.

Both machines are "mid-arm" in that they have a larger harp area (area between needle & head) and wider throat. The Horizon is a free arm, while the 6600P isn't. I haven't found that to be an issue. Right noe Janome is havng a deal where you get the Horizon & a cart on wheels to take the Horizon to workshops, etc. and a thread package.

The "walking foot" is built in. It's called "dual-feed" feature. There are 2 little arms attached behind the presser foot. When you take off the regular foot and put on one of the special feet, you raise the foot all the way up and engage the 2 arms. They function just like the walking foot upper grabbers. Some have complained that work gets caught in the 2 arms, but I find that my quilt gets caught between the post that holds the feet and the presser foot lifter handle in back. Oh, yeah, they moved that lifter from the right side to the back on the 6600P & I think it's in back on the Horizon too.

Good luck.

sewNso 10-31-2010 10:26 AM

yes, mine is a 6600 P also. hope it hasn't died forever. yes, they cost a boat load. but like i told my husband, well, i don't buy motorcycles.

gale 10-31-2010 10:42 AM

Yikes! Every time I read about a 6600 dying it scares me. I got mine Mother's Day of this year and probably don't put as many miles on it as most of you but I'm glad I kept my old machine!

lab fairy 10-31-2010 10:54 AM

I have a Pfaff 7570. After I purchased my first Pfaff in 1991, I fell in love with their built in "walking foot" or IDT. Most of the feet I use regularly can be used with the IDT system. There is nothing I have seen that compares.

featherweight 10-31-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I have a Pfaff 7570. After I purchased my first Pfaff in 1991, I fell in love with their built in "walking foot" or IDT. Most of the feet I use regularly can be used with the IDT system. There is nothing I have seen that compares.

That is what my Pfaff is. A friend of mine gave it to me last year. Isn't she a great friend?