Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-t97269.html)

illinois 02-07-2011 05:58 AM

I have a Janome and I love the walking foot when I'm doing anything with batting. I don't understand what arm fell apart. I'd take it back to the store where purchased and ask for a replacement and another demonstration. Then sit down and work with it while you are still there so you totally understand how it should work. Take it off the machine and put it back on while there! Something's not right here. For the one on the Janome, be sure the little arm is over the thumb screw that holds the needle in. Very important to get that little flapper-thing in the right place.

Has anyone used their walking foot on a featherweight? My store said the one for the Janome will work on my FW because they both are low shank machines. I haven't gotten the FW out to see if it works though. Comments, please.

Quilting Pastor 02-07-2011 06:03 AM

...a very useful tool. I have one for my New Home 8000...yes, I'm old school and it's great.

Janiemae 02-07-2011 06:03 AM

This is a good subject for me! I'm just about to give a walking foot a try! I'll let you know what I think!

Kyle's mem 02-07-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tamara
Ok, I don't have a walking foot yet, so before I go out and buy one this week what do you think about them pros and cons.
I'll be useing for straight line quilting.

It a must for a quilter good luck by the way beautiful quilt

Eula Monahan 02-07-2011 06:27 AM

My sister gave one to me and I absolutely love it. Attach your line guide and away you go for perfect sewing.

Debbie B 02-07-2011 06:30 AM

I've never "not" used my walking foot when quilting straight lines or putting on the binding. Use the darning/free motion foot for FMQ.

Eula Monahan 02-07-2011 06:31 AM

Oh. That is to bad. Maybe call the company that manufactures your machine. I cannot imagine not having mine now that I have used it.

Nancy S. 02-07-2011 06:32 AM

I don't understand how you can't use one. I've tried it and I get a pucker. No way I would do without one.

Daisydoodle 02-07-2011 06:36 AM

Love it, love it , love it.....bought one for each of my machines. Yes they are different, so make sure you get the right one. The key is not to hurry the foot along, it moves at its own pace. I use it for decorative stitches on blocks, applique (with layers) and of course general quilting. Have to remind myself to change back to my regular foot or 1/4" foot for piecing.

mollymct 02-07-2011 06:37 AM

Oh, I really love mine. I just have a super-basic Brother machine and found one for my model on Amazon. Now I don't know how I did without it and my 1/4" piecing foot!

My walking foot is pretty easy to attach. It does have it's own screw that is longer than the one I use for my other feet.I need a system for storing my feet when I switch them out so I don't lose a piece!

I don't know of a con!