Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Want to make a Jelly Roll Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/want-make-jelly-roll-quilt-t225491.html)

clawson556 07-11-2013 06:24 AM

Kathleen.....great quilts!

Stitch124 07-11-2013 06:32 AM

My thought is that the whole idea of the jelly roll quilt is to have a variety of fabrics to give the quilt design 'movement'. I would also wait until I had more fabrics to incorporate into the quilt. Are you in a hurry to make this quilt? What are you going to use the quilt for? Is it a gift or a 'practice' quilt you will be keeping. Even if you are keeping it, I would still want to have the 'movement' in the quilt, so I'd wait. Just my opinion. - Julie

caspharm 07-11-2013 06:33 AM

Kath, they look wonderful! Owlvamp, you could use another strip quilt pattern. There are a lot on the market. Check the Cozy Quilt patterns.

Friday1961 07-11-2013 06:53 AM

Oh my gosh! Love them all, but really love that tree quilt! It's like looking at a field of growing trees! Beautiful! And the star makes it perfect!

wbfrog 07-11-2013 06:54 AM

Hi, Sandra

I do agree with KathDavis reply. I do not purchase Jelly Rolls either I make my own cutting 2.5 strips from fabric. If you go to youtube.com and search Jelly Roll Queen you can see many tutorial about this type of quilt and also Missouri Star Quilting has tutorial on youtube also.

Happy Quilting
Vontina

GramMER 07-11-2013 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by owlvamp (Post 6168991)
I want to make a Jelly Roll Quilt but don't have any jelly rolls. I never had bought one and am learning about them. I want to use what's in my small stash. Ok I have 5 different fabric I can use for this. How many of each do I need? The one print I can only get 6 strips from. So that will leave me with 4 fabrics. Now could I use four strips of the four then three of the one and back to the four fabrics with four more strips then back to the other three strips and back to the four fabrics of four strips each? That would be a total of 54 strips. Now I don't want this to have all the pieces of the same fabric all together. So is this correct?
Please help!

I remember two types of Jelly Rolls--one small and one larger. In the smaller set, there may be 20 different strips 45" wide and the larger will have 40 strips of the 45"wide fabric. Some have no repeats and some have several repeats. I think the variety is nice, but as long as you have the number of strips for your project, the variety should not be that big of a problem. If you are game to cut all those, you can save a lot.

Caswews 07-11-2013 07:25 AM

Kathleen: awesome quilts ..

charlotte37830 07-11-2013 07:48 AM

Owlvamp I can send you a strip of 3 black and white fabrics or two of each if you like. That's all the black and white I have left. If you pm me your cell number I can text you a pic of them to see if they are different and/or you want them. I would post here but my laptop is broken and I am using my Kindle

Seaside gal 07-11-2013 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 6169110)
To be honest, for the same price as a jelly roll, I bought a 1/2 yard of 14 different fabrics and cut 3" strips. I used 42 strips for the front and 42 strips for the back. And, it was about 20 inches longer than if I would have only used a jelly roll. I used a different technique to piece the back. Then I made a Christmas one and had to do some appliqueing.

Those quilts are beautiful. Love the tree quilt.

tessagin 07-11-2013 08:34 AM

I have some old fabric I would like to use to make a jelly roll. I have it in a container. I laid the fabric on my bed (or you can use your design wall) whatever. I overlap it to compensate for seam allowance and 2.5" strips about 30-42" long. You can always add to it. It all depends on how big a quilt you want to make.