Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Want to make a Jelly Roll Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/want-make-jelly-roll-quilt-t225491.html)

owlvamp 07-09-2013 07:10 PM

Want to make a Jelly Roll Quilt

I want to make a Jelly Roll Quilt but don't have any jelly rolls. I never had bought one and am learning about them. I want to use what's in my small stash. Ok I have 5 different fabric I can use for this. How many of each do I need? The one print I can only get 6 strips from. So that will leave me with 4 fabrics. Now could I use four strips of the four then three of the one and back to the four fabrics with four more strips then back to the other three strips and back to the four fabrics of four strips each? That would be a total of 54 strips. Now I don't want this to have all the pieces of the same fabric all together. So is this correct?
Please help!

Cyn 07-09-2013 07:13 PM

I always thought you needed a bunch of different strips but that's just me and what I've done before :)

Scissor Queen 07-09-2013 07:28 PM

With that many strips of the same fabric you'll have lots of the same fabrics together. Even with only one strip of the same fabric in a jelly roll you still end up with some of them together since you fold the sewn sections in half to sew them together each time.

owlvamp 07-09-2013 07:40 PM

So would you sew all the strips together in the same fabric or stager them every other one?This is all the fabric I have I can use for this. I'm making it in black and white. I have no solid black or white or I could add those. I am using 3 inch strips because I had some left over and just used that size not to waste any.

kathdavis 07-09-2013 09:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
To be honest, for the same price as a jelly roll, I bought a 1/2 yard of 14 different fabrics and cut 3" strips. I used 42 strips for the front and 42 strips for the back. And, it was about 20 inches longer than if I would have only used a jelly roll. I used a different technique to piece the back. Then I made a Christmas one and had to do some appliqueing.

kathdavis 07-09-2013 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, the back didn't post.

nanacc 07-09-2013 09:29 PM

Kathleen, I love your quilts! The xmas ones are really great! I am planning a baby quilt with strips and applique. Now I see how well it can work. Great job!

owlvamp 07-09-2013 09:36 PM

Your quilts are beautiful. But I don't have that many fabrics . So either I abandon the idea or just go for it. I don't have any red I could put in it either. That was going to be my next idea . I though about orange but don't have that color either. So I just have the 5 different fabrics.

quiltsRfun 07-09-2013 09:46 PM

You could just go for it and see how it turns out. Or you could cut a few strips from this fabric and start a collection for the jelly roll quilt. Then use the remainder of the fabric for another project. I cut at least one strip from each piece of fabric I buy and add it to my collection. You'd be surprised how quickly it adds up.

Prism99 07-09-2013 09:49 PM

A jelly roll is typically made up of 40 or so strips with each strip being a different fabric, or not more than 2 strips of the same fabric. If you have only 5 fabrics, a jelly roll quilt will not work up in the same way.

I would look for a different type of pattern.