Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   WARNING FRIXION PENS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warning-frixion-pens-t108544.html)

gigi4419 09-28-2011 09:09 AM

Thanks for posting!

jljack 09-28-2011 09:14 AM

OK....a few words here....how many of our quilts go into the freezer or stay outside in 0 degree weather?

I know the ink is there, but no one has had the pens long enough to know the long term effect of that fact. So, really, don't rush to judgement. It's probably going to be longer than any of us are alive before the ink will "rot" the fabric, and perhaps never.

jljack 09-28-2011 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca
If one is concerned about the ink in the frixion pen, wouldn't the concern of the ink in the fabric would be the same for any of the marker type pens?

Yes!! The air disappearing ink is still in there, the water disappearing ink is still in there. I don't think any of the various marking inks totally washes out immediately.

jljack 09-28-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland

Originally Posted by Terryl
So if I DON'T put my quilt in the freezer, and don't put them outside when it's 14* will the ink stay disappeared?

And you don't ship them anywhere that requires air travel. I think it gets pretty cold in the cargo hold.

Janet

Nope, that's not true any longer. All airplanes are completely pressurized and temperature controlled.

jljack 09-28-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Priss
I saw this used this week on the Fons and Porter TV show. quilt show. Thank you for that information.

OK...how many of you trust F&Ps information?? Hands?? Me!! I trust them to not suggest using products that will harm my quilts.

jljack 09-28-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Theresa

Originally Posted by noahscats7
Glad I don't store my quilts in the freezer. I have 8 colors of the pens and I LOVE them. Gotta figure those extremes don't happen in many houses.

Amen

Yes, I agree with this!!

Halfsquare 09-28-2011 02:17 PM

Janice - thanks for letting us know about the fons and porter endorsement. I think I will let this go now and feel good about using my pens. I love them and they have made my life so much easier. I have quilt teachers who would never use anything to mark fabrics until now with these pens. They totally believe in them too. Thanks again
Roxanne

Carron 09-28-2011 02:25 PM

How often will a quilt be exposed to 14ºF?

Dena789 09-28-2011 03:41 PM

I wonder if it would make a difference if the fabric is pre-washed or not as far as the ink washing out after pressing...

gale 09-28-2011 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca
If one is concerned about the ink in the frixion pen, wouldn't the concern of the ink in the fabric would be the same for any of the marker type pens?

Yes. I only use blue masking tape or clover chaco liner (white only) to mark so far. I only do straight line quilting though so it's not a big issue for me. I do have a chalk pounce kit for when I decided to brave a design.