Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   WARNING FRIXION PENS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warning-frixion-pens-t108544.html)

Halfsquare 09-23-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I used one to do some markings. Ironed it, lines disappeared. I put it in the freezer overnight and nothing reappeared.

That is great! Thanks so much.

TerryQuilter 09-23-2011 03:26 PM

Love these pens, don't freeze my quilts and I live in Sunny California so don't have to worry about freezing temps. :thumbup:

BellaBoo 09-24-2011 07:21 AM

If a quilt of mine survives for many generations I won't be around to know if the ink came back or not so why the worry. Now days if an old quilt surfaces with pencil markings left on it it is considered a real treasure! From what I could find online the chemicals used for the gel ink are not harmful to natural fibers.

Tartan 09-24-2011 12:03 PM

I am using my Frixion black pen to draw around my tiny twister squares today. I gave up on cutting them out with the rotary cutter (before I lose a finger) and I am using my scissors on the Frixion marks. Working great!

galvestonangel 09-24-2011 08:33 PM

I love my pen. I don't put my quilts in the freezer, so I am O K.

Dena789 09-26-2011 11:37 AM

I don't think the concern here is about whether you freeze your quilts or not. Not many people I know of do that...

What I think is the concern is the reaction of the chemical ink to both heat and cold. If it can be completely washed out, there should be no concern. But, if that chemical residue remains in the fabric, it could cause problems in the quilt down the road.

Your great-great grandchild may cherish that quilt you made beyond your imagining and it would be a shame for some old chemical residue left in it to be eating away at the fibers and utimately destroying it.

Holice 09-26-2011 11:44 AM

Are you not worried about the fact the chemical is still in the quilt even after it disappears? I would be worried that something in the environment could effect it and turn the area where marked into some other gross color.

gale 09-26-2011 05:04 PM

Many people don't read the posts (other than the OP) so they are not even seeing our references to the chemicals staying in the fabric. It's one of my pet peeves about message boards. I am easily annoyed, I guess.

Halfsquare 09-26-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Many people don't read the posts (other than the OP) so they are not even seeing our references to the chemicals staying in the fabric. It's one of my pet peeves about message boards. I am easily annoyed, I guess.

But doesn't the ink wash out?

MoMoSews 09-26-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
Glad I don't store my quilts in the freezer. I have 8 colors of the pens and I LOVE them. Gotta figure those extremes don't happen in many houses.

Same here and I love them!!!