Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing Machines and Fraying (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-machines-fraying-t286766.html)

Pat M. 03-13-2017 10:14 AM

Serge the cut edges OR cut each corner of fabric at an angle, small triangle. Then wash.

cashs_mom 03-13-2017 01:55 PM

The link worked for me and when I finally got to a site that sells them it said "Call for pricing". Huh? If they can't price their machines online, I'm not sure I want one. I'm on my second Kenmore/Whirlpool machine and have had very good luck. I do think the new top load machine without the old style agitator doesn't fray fabric as much as the old one.

barny 03-13-2017 02:40 PM

I also got the link. It came right on.

Anniedeb 03-13-2017 04:49 PM

I pre wash all my fabric. I have an 30 year old top load w/ agitator. I clip the corners, toss it in on regular cycle, add color catchers and let the cycle go. I then toss in the dryer...I have very little fraying.

Jane Quilter 03-13-2017 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7783639)
The link worked for me and when I finally got to a site that sells them it said "Call for pricing". Huh? If they can't price their machines online, I'm not sure I want one. I'm on my second Kenmore/Whirlpool machine and have had very good luck. I do think the new top load machine without the old style agitator doesn't fray fabric as much as the old one.

That is the manufactures website. they do not sell them there, they make them. If you want to buy one, go to a retailer. Start with amazon.com ($799 plus free shipping)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0162JJAJO...ing=UTF8&psc=1

ps; I couldnt get a price out of bernina or babylock dealers for a sewing machine ,even over the phone....I had to show up to their stores to get a price.....thank goodness for amazon

romanojg 03-14-2017 04:03 AM

Some machines are harder on clothes or fabric than others. I have a front loader and I don't have a lot of problems. I just pre washed a raw silk and a bouche to make a skirt. The silk didn't fray as much and even the bouche which is know to fringe wasn't too bad. I'm doing a fringe skirt at the bottom so I wasn't worried. I didn't want to have to get locked into taking this to the dry cleaners all the time so I washed it. I did a delicate load with close to know spinning. Then I let it mostly air dry and then put it in the dryer for the last few minutes. It turned out great. Now to get my skirt done, I'm part of a sew along but I'm so far behind. That'll change this weekend.

janjanq 03-14-2017 04:04 AM

I have a steam function on my dryer. I'll put my fabrics through this cycle to preshrink and get wrinkles and foods out of the fabric. Works pretty good!
I've never tried this but this tip makes sense to me.....use a pinking blade in your rotary cutter and pink the edges before preshrinking the fabric. Also helps keep track of which fabrics have been prewashed.

maryb119 03-14-2017 04:28 AM

I zig zag or serge the cut edges on my fabric before I prewash it. Then I don't have any raveling. I always prewash because I don't want any surprises after I finish my quilt.

coopah 03-14-2017 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7783491)
We got sucked into the hype and thought a front loader would be better. Nope. I don't think our clothes have been clean clean since 2006. :(

I understand that phosphates and high water usage (supposedly) are bad for the environment, but man, I sure do miss those days.

Ditto.
Our front loader is an Amana. It has protrusions on the drum, so when I watch the clothes/fabrics being washed, it reminds me that I could go do the same thing on a rock in a stream and get the same, and maybe better results. We gave a top loading Maytag to the Salvation Army when we left Seattle. Moving has not been kind to our washing machines, so the thinking was with moving and going to well water, we'd like to conserve. Bad decision.

Weezy Rider 03-14-2017 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7783468)
Personally, I can't stand front loaders or the top loaders without an agitator. I inherited a brand new set that was a top loader without an agitator and promptly gave them away. Wish I had kept the dryer though. I really, really miss my old 1964 Frigidaire set. That was the best washer I've ever had. I kept it going as long as I could, up into the early 90s until the timer switch finally burned up and it just couldn't be fixed any more.
But on topic, as a rule I don't usually pre wash, but if I'm going to machine embroider on something I'll wash it first so there's no shrinking after the embroidery is done. I serge the edges first so there's no fraying.

Cari

Did that Frigidaire have the up and down agitator? I had 2 of those. Left one in a house when we sold it.
Bought the other for the new house. Lasted over 20 years before it gave up the ghost.

I miss the thing.