Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing Machines and Fraying (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-machines-fraying-t286766.html)

Wintersewer 03-14-2017 05:53 AM

THANKS for the suggestion to clip the cut edges....never though of that!!

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7783364)
I've only had top loading machines; our new one doesn't have a central agitator, but I still get the fraying (it doesn't seem to matter what setting I use). My preference is to zig zag my edges before washing, but if I'm in a hurry or have quite a few pieces to wash, I just clip the edges in a few places; this at least stops the fraying from going all the way across the fabric, so the frays don't cause tangling and excessive wrinkling.

Beachbaby12 03-14-2017 06:13 AM

And don't buy a Samsung refrigerator or DVD player, bad news

lyndi 03-14-2017 07:23 AM

I have only had top loading washers but have been successful at prewashing by turning on the agitator on gentle cycle for about 30 seconds then opening the lid to stop the cycle letting the fabric soak 5-10 min. I repeat the process several times.
This has worked pretty well for me with minimal freying.

Wintersewer 03-14-2017 07:30 AM

Same with LG, and Electrolux vacuums. Friends have had bad experiences with LG, a refrigerator and a washer.

My vacuum dealer/repairer, who has been in business for 35+ years, tells me that an investment company bought the name only, and sold the machine patents (not sure that is the correct word, but the original quality mfg.) to Aerus, which now makes the original Electrolux quality vacuums. Same with Singer, Pfaff and Viking....sadly.

Originally Posted by Beachbaby12 (Post 7784027)
And don't buy a Samsung refrigerator or DVD player, bad news

Wintersewer 03-14-2017 07:32 AM

Thought

THANKS for the suggestion to clip the cut edges....never though of that!!"

carolynjo 03-14-2017 07:33 AM

If you ever watch the Cooks program on PBS (Here on Sat. 3 PM) their sponsor is Fisher Paykel.

bkay 03-14-2017 07:47 AM

I have a Whirlpool top loading machine without an agitator that is supposed to save water. (I hate it.) It frays fabric quite a bit. I use lingerie bags to keep the fabric from being beat up. I also wash on light and cool. Before resorting to the lingerie bags, I had to have the line rotor-rooted. What they got out looked like mop strings.

bkay

Sandygirl 03-14-2017 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7783309)
My experience is the same as yours. My top loader was murder on fabrics, but I can throw all my yardage in my new front loader and get just a few threads here and there. As advertised, front loaders are much more gentle because there is no agitator.

My toploader does not have an agitator. I love it!

sandy

mjsylvstr 03-14-2017 03:26 PM

I trim the fabric with my pinking shears before washing and it has solved a lot of fraying problems

cashs_mom 03-14-2017 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by janjanq (Post 7783951)
I have a steam function on my dryer. I'll put my fabrics through this cycle to preshrink and get wrinkles and foods out of the fabric. Works pretty good!
I've never tried this but this tip makes sense to me.....use a pinking blade in your rotary cutter and pink the edges before preshrinking the fabric. Also helps keep track of which fabrics have been prewashed.

I just got a dryer with the steam function. I"m going to have to try that!.