Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Went to other boards today...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/went-other-boards-today-t19428.html)

Rhonda 04-26-2009 10:05 AM

I was asked to join Facebook by a friend and I looked on there and found some places to join a quilt group but I wasn't happy with what I found. Not current and nobody was talking much or very often. I followed a link on someone's site that was on Facebook and I found myself here!! I loved it! I did go look for a comparable site and couldn't find anything that was as warm and inviting as this one. I saw a few but they were not well attended and they seemed dry and not real interesting to me.
I have enjoyed getting to know you all on here and have been shocked at how well received my Ebook was. I never expected the fantabulous response I got. This is not the reason I love this site tho. I love this group because of the love and caring you all show even and maybe especially when someone has problems! keep it up! You are making the world a better place one person and one quilt at a time!! I am very proud to be a member of such a group of people!!
It really filled a need in my life and i am not!!! talking about the book!

RedGarnet222 04-26-2009 10:51 AM

Here here .... I totally agree whole heartedly! Thanks for such a great site!

ghostrider 04-26-2009 12:19 PM

Isn't this rather like discussing which is better, chocolate or vanilla? This board mostly appeals to new quilters, those that use ready-made patterns, that favor traditional quilt blocks, and that want things fast and easy. Other boards have other characteristics and appeal to other types of quilters. That does not make their members any less friendly, caring or helpful. None is "better" than another, they are just different. An open mind, like an open door, can bring many worthwhile experiences.

Ninnie 04-26-2009 12:56 PM

Chocolate is Better, everybody knows that!! LOL

Ninnie

lfw045 04-26-2009 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Isn't this rather like discussing which is better, chocolate or vanilla? This board mostly appeals to new quilters, those that use ready-made patterns, that favor traditional quilt blocks, and that want things fast and easy. Other boards have other characteristics and appeal to other types of quilters. That does not make their members any less friendly, caring or helpful. None is "better" than another, they are just different. An open mind, like an open door, can bring many worthwhile experiences.

You are absolutely correct! :D

Mari 04-26-2009 01:54 PM

I agree. Other boards I read, but seldom participate in, seem to be bent upon established cliques. Such as-- swaps related to birthdays, or other fancy names, which I never ever read. Why should I when I am not interested in swaps? I am, more interested in a quilter's experience or questions and sharing those, than I am, in joining up with others in their swaps ad infinitum. I saw little interest in discussion of the various techniques or problems we all must face in quilting. It was more like a clique than a discussion of quilting. Some of them can also be nasty or ignore a newcomer into their clique if there is a hint of questioning. But I do not have to participate in those and I don't. I scroll past all the irrelevant postings that are not interesting to me. This site provides the best and the most friendliest of quilting information in a good format. One site I read, with the headings of non quilt related posts has more chatty, non quilt related headings than quilt related headings and often it is a discussion containing whining for something or the other. This site is really the best of them all..

Shemjo 04-26-2009 02:06 PM

It is great we have choices. I am glad to be here! :lol:

Mousie 04-26-2009 02:29 PM

well, I believe in choices too, and I choose...HERE! This place feels like home to me... where my quilting family is.
I have been active here, about five and a half months, and in that time, I have experienced all kinds of things in my everyday life, and I can either hop on here and share, and get so much in return, or I can come here, to 'get away' from it all.
I've laughed, cried, learned, been surprised, overjoyed,...you name it, but never bored. The best part is, it's all centered around quilting, but has different things, for all parts of our lives. It's like a wheel, where the center is the quilting, and the spokes are all of my friends, and the sharing and caring, are what make it go round.
It ain't broke, so i ain't lookin to fix it. Sometimes, I even feel when a 'spoke' is missing, and I poke around to see if they are ok.
Right now, someone has been 'away', and she will be back, maybe, hopefully, by tomorrow, to grease this wheel. woo hoo, I just love it. :D

Moonpi 04-26-2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Other boards have other characteristics and appeal to other types of quilters. That does not make their members any less friendly, caring or helpful. None is "better" than another, they are just different. An open mind, like an open door, can bring many worthwhile experiences.

Amen!

Rhonda 04-26-2009 03:48 PM

I don't disagree with you Ghostwriter and Moonpi and whoever else agreed. I just had a better experience here than any I looked at. I realize there are a lot of sites out there to discuss quilting and they have alot to offer to quilters. They are just not for me. I thought I would join more than just one but could not find any I wanted to join in on. Doesn't mean I won't come across one that is worth my time in the future!
Each to their own!! We all have to make our own decisions according to what works best for each one of us. Totally agree with choices!!