Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is the average time for hand sewing the binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-average-time-hand-sewing-binding-t172457.html)

Dina 12-19-2011 07:14 AM

I always allow four hours, and I usually watch tv when I do it. I also break it into two sessions. Sometimes it goes quicker than others. :)

grammy Dwynn 12-19-2011 07:25 AM

I know some are fast hand sewers and others are slow. Since I like to do hand work, I really don't pay attention to 'how long it takes'. The main thing is that I am doing something that I like. It is done while watching tv, sometime the show is interesting and the sewing is slowed down, other times the show is so-so and the stitching goes fast. :)

CarrieC 12-19-2011 07:28 AM

I think (I've never timed it) I can bind the back by hand in 2-3 evenings of TV I curl up on the couch and stitch and watch TV. I'll have to time myself the next time.

I have to say that I think your time is amazing! Very thrifty!!!

ywoodruff5 12-19-2011 07:48 AM

It takes me about the same amount of time - maybe a tad longer - to do a queen. I work on it while watching TV and doesn't seem to take that much time then.

thepolyparrot 12-19-2011 07:51 AM

For a 90" square quilt, it takes three or four evenings in front of the television. A king size takes longer evenings, still stretched out over 3 or 4 days. To sit down and sew on a binding, I'd have to give up the use of my hands for the whole week afterward.

I like hand work - gives me an excuse to "watch" tv. I've usually got stuff piled up on the DVR that I want to listen to and if I don't, I put an audiobook on my iPod and listen to that. :)

I go for 6 or 7 stitches per inch and try to keep them invisible.

I love this part of the quilt - when I'm done, I get to wash it and give it away. By the time I get to this point, I'm pretty sick of looking at it. :p

Krisb 12-19-2011 11:08 AM

I enjoy the process of hand sewing the binding, but I'm not fast. A queen would likely take two evenings or about six hours.

joyce888 12-19-2011 01:10 PM

Well I didn't think I was slow but I do watch TV while I'm sewing the binding and the King-size quilt took over 10 hours. The Christmas quilt 54x59 took about 5 hours. P.S. I am picky and I do very small hidden stitches.

Keep Them In Stitches 12-19-2011 01:15 PM

It takes me longer than that. You are pretty fast. Good for you.

ckcowl 12-19-2011 01:18 PM

that's about how long it takes me too- i can usually sit down in front of a movie and be just about to the end on a queen by the end of the movie-
sometimes i spend a week- work on it for 15-20 minutes (usually down one side) then set it aside & go back & do another side later---but if it want to get it done-and am sitting down to do it between 2 & 2 1/2 hours for a queen is about my average.

KyKat 12-19-2011 01:21 PM

I sew the first side on with the machine, then fold over to the back and stitch that by hand, so a couple-three hours. Since I quilt the entire quilt by hand, a few hours to bind, compared to a couple of months to quilt, that seems to fly by, relatively speaking.