Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-biggest-mistake-you-made-when-making-quilt-t189814.html)

faykilgore 05-23-2012 02:57 PM

My roommate and I pinned one together, then realized she'd forgotten to add the border. We unpinned it, added the border, then added more backing material, as we'd measured the back based on what we thought was the finished top. I totally pinned one and realized when I got to the edge that it wasn't centered. We unpinned that one, too.

faykilgore 05-23-2012 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 5238133)
My biggest mistage was having one block sidewards when I sewed the quilt together. I sandwiched it, top quilted it, and bound it, never seeing the mistake. My 6 year grand daughter (the quilt recipient) saw it. Old eyes!!

There's a queen-sized quilt on my uncle's bed with one of the blocks in backwards. I didn't notice it until he showed it to me on his bed. He loves the quilt and I didn't mention the mistake. It was far too late to fix.

Dolphyngyrl 05-23-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 5238142)
Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......

Too funny LOL!!!!

ghostrider 05-23-2012 03:12 PM

I don't make mistakes...I gain experience. :)

Tartan 05-23-2012 03:15 PM

There are no mistakes, just design opportunities. I have had more design opportunies than I can remember.:D

DogHouseMom 05-23-2012 03:23 PM

My worst (and most recent) was cutting panels wrong. Not just one panel wrong ... but two. Had to buy more panels :(

My other big mistake wasn't so much a mistake as it was ignorance of what could, and could not be done - it was my very first quilt so that's the excuse I'm going with :) I attempted (note that word) to "quilt" the quilt with metallic thread using machine embroidery stitches ... without the benefit of a walking foot or a metallic needle. Yes, there is a reason that one is STILL a UFO after several years.

QuiltE 05-23-2012 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5238274)
I don't make mistakes...I gain experience. :)

Ditto ... It's truly Learn to Do by Doing!!!

I think Winston Churchill said it best ...

"All (wo)men make mistakes, but only wise (wo)men learn from their mistakes."

GrannieAnnie 05-23-2012 03:55 PM

I don't iron carefully and don't iron immediately. I also get sloppy about trimming loose threads. Which I spent the morning doing!

GrannieAnnie 05-23-2012 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by cmrenno (Post 5238148)
I made all the blocks for a Buzz Saw quilt from flannel and then I realized that I had sewn each and every one of them together wrong. I picked each quilt block apart with a seam ripper and then put them back together. I saved every scrap of thread that I pulled out and put them in a jar. I put a label on the jar to remind me to read the instructions and I keep that jar right next my sewing machine!

Colleen

Hummmmmmmmmmm, might be a lesson and reminder for all of us!

GrannieAnnie 05-23-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR (Post 5238087)
Cutting 5 inch squares and ending up with a rectangle. I had a 8 1/2 inch square ruler and had turned it the wrong way.

I had marked a big square ruler with painter's tape to show me a 5 1/2 in. square. One long piece of blue tape all the way across and one blue tape up and down all the way. Later when I tried to sew pieces together, some were smaller than other. It was a 12 inch ruler and I'd left a square space a bit under 5" on the dead end of the ruler. NOW, I mark an X or something in spaces I'm not using.