Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the biggest mistake you made when making a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-biggest-mistake-you-made-when-making-quilt-t189814.html)

Weezy Rider 05-23-2012 04:02 PM

You name it, I've done it. Biggest complaint - not enough fabric and buy the time you discover that you don't have enough fabric, either the store is out of it or the dye lot has changed.

grammy Dwynn 05-23-2012 04:02 PM

I am so glad you didn't ask "how many" mistakes I have made. LOL

I think my BIGGEST mistake was a few years ago at retreat. Decided to do a Minnesota Hot Dish pattern (easy), had all my fabric cut and even made a sample block. All set to do the 80 blocks. Sewing away, doing 40 blocks, chain piecing at a time. Was about the third round, ready for the fourth round. oh, %$*&)**($ All 40 of the third round is on the wrong side and will make a differences of the layout of the quilt ..... spend a lot of time unsewing...

Annaquilts 05-23-2012 04:07 PM

I think the one I regretted the most was rushing the laundering of a very large wedding Queen quilt for my daughter. I washed it once and then tossed it in the dryer. All the quilting lines had not washed out yet so I set them in the dryer. She is fine with it and loves th quilt. I hope that over time they will dissapear.

QuiltnNan 05-23-2012 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 5238142)
Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......

LOL - been there!

MadQuilter 05-23-2012 04:12 PM

I made a Lone Star but apparently I had turned the bits the wrong way so my star radiates into the point (which is kind of cool) but I really mucked up the angles. Working with all those bias pieces was not a good idea for a total beginner. One of these days I will pull it out and fix it.

Becky Crafts 05-23-2012 04:15 PM

The first quilt I finished. I generally make one block at a time now, but I'd just kept putting blocks together & then I realized I had been having so much fun putting them together, I had enough for two quilts and a pillow! LOL!! I kept one & the other set made a great Christmas gift!! :-)

joyce888 05-23-2012 04:15 PM

Sewing a block together and realizing I'd sewed it wrong; ripping it out and sewing it wrong again. Now I know from firsthand knowledge "third times charm".

LynnVT 05-23-2012 04:18 PM

Two weeks ago, at an X block class, I sewed a bunch of strips together in the wrong order. Wide, wide, narrow instead of wide, narrow, wide. How could I have been so stupid? The teacher, bless her dear heart, just laughed and grabbed some of them, unsewing as she walked around helping people. Later, I sewed some blocks together in wrong order, too. But it's done now, and I love it. Not necessarily the worst mistake, but the most recent, and I remember it. LOL

carrieg 05-23-2012 04:44 PM

I had a quilt that I was going to put a border on and the fabric was directional. Do you see where this is going? LOL I have learned not to cut fabric after 9pm. This mistake required a trip to LQS. :-)

nannyrick 05-23-2012 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 5238142)
Getting married for the second time.....oh wait.....this has nothing to do with quilting......

Toooo funny, LOL.