Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what blocks to make with this fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-blocks-make-fabric-t140224.html)

wendy053 07-26-2011 06:37 AM

I just purchased 3 yds of this from Hancock's of Paducah. I'm gonna make a sundress! SO CUTE!

quilter in the making 07-26-2011 07:11 AM

I think you've gotten a lot of good tips here and don't have anything to add, but that is gorgeous fabric. Too bad I just posted in another topic that I will only buy backing, batting and finishing fabrics. Good luck and please share pics of your finished projects!!!

liese 07-26-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
I bought this beautiful seahorse fabric and a solid teal fabric to go with it and wish to make a 2 color quilt maybe even a sampler quilt? my question is I want to fussy cut the seahorse fabric to get the best parts out of the fabric but only know of one block (the square in a square) that works well with fussy cutting do you know of any blocks that would work with this or should I just look for 2 color blocks in general? I just really want to be able to see the seahorses somewhere in each block thanks for thinking about it :idea:

You can do a star with the seahorse squares in the middle. BTW beautiful fabric -- where did you find it?

bearisgray 07-26-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Limey
Depending on the size of the sea-horses, Judy Cisneros' Patchwork Pizzazz method might work. She cuts rectangles and squares of the theme fabric (61/2, 121/2 sq. and 61/2x121/2 rectangles, if I remember rightly, and uses the remaining fabric along with her other fabric choices for nine-patches and occasional fill-in strips. It is straightforward (literally!) and you still end up with something original and personal. Can't lay my hands on the book right now, so please check those sizes.

I also like the idea of cutting rectangles of various sizes of the parts you want to show off - and framing/filling in with other fabrics.

feffertim 07-26-2011 07:23 AM

I agree, the attic window would be great

AnitaSt 07-26-2011 07:30 AM

I vote for the snowball block with nine-patches. I'm gonna try to find some of this for my niece...she'd love it.

Anita

BrendaK 07-26-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by crafty gal

crafty gal. Thanks for the link. Sew much information. BrendaK

BrendaK 07-26-2011 08:53 AM

Whatever pattern you choose I am sure it will turn out great. Beatiful fabric. Not supposed to purchase for a while will have to put this in my memory bank for later. Thanks BrendaK

sahm4605 07-26-2011 09:01 AM

I would think that any block that has a square or diamond shape in the center would work well, just depends on how "fussy" you are willing to go.

Sallyjane 07-26-2011 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
I bought this beautiful seahorse fabric and a solid teal fabric to go with it and wish to make a 2 color quilt maybe even a sampler quilt? my question is I want to fussy cut the seahorse fabric to get the best parts out of the fabric but only know of one block (the square in a square) that works well with fussy cutting do you know of any blocks that would work with this or should I just look for 2 color blocks in general? I just really want to be able to see the seahorses somewhere in each block thanks for thinking about it :idea:

It would make a really cute bow tuck bag! And you must really like seahorses, as I see in your quilt board name.