Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What colour to paint sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-colour-paint-sewing-room-t109925.html)

Diana Lynne 03-23-2011 03:46 AM

what about a very light yellow? like a cream yellow color?

SueDor 03-23-2011 03:49 AM

I like a light beige.

dakotamaid 03-23-2011 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I painted my sewing room a pale yellow. It keeps the light in my room bright without being garish.

I agree, my sister painted hers this color and loves it.

Mine is a pale lavender and is a southwest room. It is bright and cheery.:)

Sophie2 03-23-2011 04:02 AM

My sewing room is in my basement. Since I have no windows in the room , by choice, I wanted something bright so I choose a bright yellow. I really like it. The color makes the room really cheerful, even on the darkest winter day.

grann of 6 03-23-2011 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
As many of you are aware, I am currently painting out rooms in wait for my Tin Lizzie to arrive. My question is, what colour would you paint your room? I had read a longtime ago, that dark colours aren't appropriate for the sewing room as it distorts the fabric colour. I'm wondering should it be totally white(not my first choice), or a soft beige, or yellow or what? I know it needs to be easy on the eyes and pleasant at the same time. The room has two windows in it and hardwood floors. I would really appreciate your opinions!

Painting is like choosing underwear for someone else. We all have our own ideas. Myself, I like a nice neutral off-white in a satin semi-gloss. Light bounces off it and keeps the room bright. I also like a very soft yellow. You get into pinks, blues, etc. and I think it affects the colors you are working with. My basement sewing studio is Behr Cinnamon Cake on the walls and Belgian Cream on the ceiling. I think you don't need bright colors because there is so much else colorwise going on in the room all the time.

mommaB 03-23-2011 04:09 AM

Mine is a cottage blue color, kind of beachy!!. Very relaxing, but still has some energy! My room is in the lower level of a split, so I don't have a lot of natural light. It seems to reflect what little I do have and make the room bright and cheery. Go with what you like so you want to spend time in there!

sharoney 03-23-2011 04:11 AM

I have the most beautiful golden yellow- my whole house is painted in it. It's Laura Ashley gold #3- available at Lowe's.

Scrap Happy 03-23-2011 04:20 AM

Mine is yellow because I wanted a cheerful color in my sewing room. Yellow appears softer on a color chip than when it’s on a wall. If you choose yellow go a few shades lighter than it looks on the chip or paint a board first and leave it in the room to see how you like it after living with it for a couple days.

sewcrafty 03-23-2011 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by sharoney
I have the most beautiful golden yellow- my whole house is painted in it. It's Laura Ashley gold #3- available at Lowe's.

That's the color of my family room and kitchen! I would do any color that makes you feel good. I just wouldn't go dark.

Karen's Kreations 03-23-2011 05:00 AM

I painted my sewing room a pale yellow - I wanted something light & cheery.