Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What constitutes a 'book'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-constitutes-book-t25449.html)

amma 09-14-2009 11:22 AM

Very well put Ninnie!!! My feelings exactly!!!

Lacelady 09-14-2009 02:48 PM

As a matter of interest, I checked another book selling site:
www.abebooks.com They don't have the one I bought, but another in the series, and list that as a pamphlet. Now that I have had this experience, it's just another thing I will check in the future.
This version I have has '5 exciting new quilt designs' in it, I am left wondering what the original version was like.

kluedesigns 09-14-2009 03:43 PM

for me the difference between a book and a pattern is a book teaches you a new technique while a pattern is based on well known techniques.

typically books devote a few pages to teaching the new technique and then has a few patterns for you to choose from so you can practice and master the new technique.

so i think both a pattern and a book can be 16 pages and the only thing that would differ is the price.

if i'm not teaching you anything new than a $6-12 for a pattern is reasonable unless i'm including paper piecing foundations than the price goes up from there since i'm providing product and pattern.

if i'm teaching a new technique the price would be around $15-$25 depending on how much teaching and patterns are being provided and does that include paper piecing foundations.

thats how i base my shopping decisions.

littlehud 09-14-2009 08:16 PM

I have learned a lot from this thread. I would be disappointed to order a "book" and get a 16 page "pamphlet". I guess it's buyer beware. Read all descriptions so you don't get a surprise.

peaceandjoy 09-15-2009 07:32 AM

One of the two "books" I ordered is specfically meant for use with bali pops, or other 2 1/1" strips. It is 12 pages!

I'm seriously considering returning it. The cost is $18 ($1.50/page) and to return it would only cost me a couple bucks.

Joan 09-15-2009 07:43 AM

Yes, I know your frustration. I examine "books" very carefully to ascertain whether there is really any "new" information in the books.

My favorite site for buying books is:

http://www.dealoz.com/

You enter the book title and it does a search for all of the sites and their prices starting with the cheapest price first. I've never paid retail for a book I've purchased online. It has been very helpful.

Lacelady 09-15-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
One of the two "books" I ordered is specfically meant for use with bali pops, or other 2 1/1" strips. It is 12 pages!

I'm seriously considering returning it. The cost is $18 ($1.50/page) and to return it would only cost me a couple bucks.

I think that's outrageous! As Klue said, a new technique might be worth it, but with Turning Twenty, I don't consider there to be a different technique really, just an idea for an economical way of cutting out. This 'book' is smaller than several of the Patterns I have, and a lot thinner than a magazine, so I can't think of it as a book, and I don't think it should be marketed as such. I will be keeping mine, but will be really checking out the details in future. For instance, I have just ordered another book, $6.99, and it has 288 pages. That IS a book.

Rhonda 09-15-2009 10:20 AM

So I have some questions!!

What do you want to see in a book from me? What would be your ideas of what to expect from a book?

I am looking at smaller size with a smaller price. So now is your chance to put in your input so I can address these issues in what I write.

There will be the new Wings block that Suzi has already played with and shown. And I will include my original designs to use it in a full size quilt in the first one and the second one will be on minis.

Any suggestions for what you would like to see? How many pages? per a smaller price etc what else anything?

I am always open to suggestions. I thought since you are all talking about your expectations I would ask.

I have rolled around the ideas of doing patterns versus ebooks. I didn't come to any conclusion. I also am interested in what you think about what a pattern should be as opposed to what a book should be.

Content should be worth the price of the book or pattern.

Rhonda 09-15-2009 10:23 AM

I don't buy a lot of quilt magazines any more as the content is usually some thing I already have. I can find more inspiration online. The magazines don't really have much new to me anymore.

I have more fun finding new things here on the board.

Lacelady 09-15-2009 03:48 PM

Rhonda, I already have three of your ebooks, 'nuf said, I think. I have liked them all, and tried somthing from each of them. There is plenty of content, some innovative ideas and lots of pics, which I like too. AND I didn't have to pay for shipping! A bonus, when you live in a quilting backwater like Ireland.

Check the Sept. Doll Quilt swap in a couple of weeks, my latest one incorporates one of your blocks!