Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What constitutes a 'book'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-constitutes-book-t25449.html)

Lacelady 09-14-2009 05:24 AM

Intrigued by mentions of 'Turning Twenty' patterns, I ordered the book from Amazon. This is a New Edition which is 'the updated version of Tricia's best selling turning Twenty book', plus 5 'Exciting New Quilt Designs'. I am not grumbling about the price, but I suppose I was really expecting something more than 16 pages. Is my thinking unreasonable?

dunster 09-14-2009 05:54 AM

I'm so sorry you were disappointed with your purchase! I've also received "books" that I think should be called "patterns" or "pamphlets." I guess if it's bound in some fashion they can call it a book. I've learned to look on Amazon's listing under Product Details to see how many pages there are. That number often determines whether I'll buy the book. I hope you enjoy making the quilt(s) anyway.

JJs 09-14-2009 06:16 AM

sounds almost as ridiculous as the kaleidoscope pattern 'books'...
a simple 8 piece pie-sliced block, a pattern that's been around FOREVER... just cut a 'stack' instead of singles and they turn it into some kind of $$$$ big deal...
I bought a book thinking there was some deep secret about making the kaleidoscope blocks - there's one pattern and a 'bookful' of different quilts made from the pattern.. doh

Lacelady 09-14-2009 06:19 AM

Thanks, Dunster. I am not unhappy with the patterns, rather with the description of 'book'. I would have still bought it because I wanted the pattern & associated ideas, and I will definitely be making one of them up in due course. I will take your advice in future and look to see how many pages there are when I am considering buying any more 'books'. I think this one breaks the record for being the thinnest on my book shelves, I shall have to take care not to lose it between some of the others.

peaceandjoy 09-14-2009 07:22 AM

I agree! I just received two "books" that I'd ordered. Saw items finished with them at a shop last week, but they didn't have the book available as they were so popular. So I ordered them online. Now I love one of them, the other I wouldn't have gotten. My two books, that totalled $45, have less than 20 pages between the two of them! I was a little surprised. Live and learn, I should have checked more carefully. I'd still have gotten the one.

For anyone who hasn't heard, CT publishing is having a clearance sale on their books online. They are $5 each!. There were about 130 titles yesterday, not all quilting, but I did order three.

BellaBoo 09-14-2009 07:45 AM

I noticed the newer quilt books have a lof filler text. The actual instructions take one page so the rest of the pages are filled with non essential fluff. I lose respect for the quilt author for calling a pattern a book. They will not get my money.

AtHomeSewing 09-14-2009 08:02 AM

Usually Amazon includes the page count in the Product Details area, but not always. If they did not on this book, why not contact them and tell them you are not happy?

Also, leave a REVIEW on the item's sales page at Amazon. Tell everyone who is considering this book how you feel about the number of pages. At least that way they can make an informed decision.

Lacelady 09-14-2009 08:33 AM

I just checked, and they did quote 17 pages (they included the inside back cover for that extra one), so it's entirely my fault. The 'Book' two doesn't seem to have any number of pages stated, another in the series has 33 pages, and yet another 25 pages.
As I said earlier, I like the concept, I am just questioning the description of 'book'. Booklet or pamphlet would have been a more accurate description in my opinion.

As it is, several of the 'books' I have bought recently have less pages than the average quilt magazine, but cost up to four times more.

Lisanne 09-14-2009 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I just checked, and they did quote 17 pages (they included the inside back cover for that extra one), so it's entirely my fault.

I don't know about that. Yes, it clearly states that it's only 17 pages - if you scroll down far enough to see that, if you even think to wonder.

Why would most people bother to check the page count? If it's listed in Books, and it is, then it should be a book. Seventeen pages is not a book, IMO. At best it's a booklet. Sounds like it's a pattern.

That said, I guess patterns sell for that much, so it's not actually out of line. It would be nice if they'd label it more accurately so people know what to expect. Guess it's buyer beware. But it's hardly your fault for not thinking to look.

Ninnie 09-14-2009 09:50 AM

to me, that is a pamphlet!
I don't think 16 pages constitutes a book, unless it is for a child!