Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with a favorite tool you have to retire? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-favorite-tool-you-have-retire-t68895.html)

Joanie2 10-07-2010 01:21 PM

I might save it in case you need to fussy cut a 12 1/2" square. Or I would pass it to someone who is just getting started. I've used that excuse to replace a lot of my cutting tools, rulers and mats. Everyone wins.

janRN 10-07-2010 02:05 PM

I can't throw things out (look for me on the next episode of Hoarders); I throw everything in the back of my storage closet including rulers with the corners chopped off.

PamS 10-07-2010 02:11 PM

They would be great in the bottom of a purse / bag / tote. Cover with fabric and you've got great stability!

Rhonda 10-07-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PamS
They would be great in the bottom of a purse / bag / tote. Cover with fabric and you've got great stability!

Great idea!

amma 10-07-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by PamS

I love this idea, you could get atleast 2 or 3 out one this :D:D:D

Holice 10-07-2010 02:27 PM

what is very special about that ruler. All mfgs have 12/5" square rulers. I have a bunch of 12.5" Omnigrid in my workroom.

amandasgramma 10-07-2010 02:35 PM

I keep mine hanging around --- that way it can see what I'm making!!! ROL!

bearisgray 10-07-2010 02:36 PM

maybe the person that cuts your templates could recut it into another usable size - maybe 8 x 8 for your potholders?

Of course, you'll have to ignore the markings, but one can get used to doing that.

Rhonda 10-07-2010 02:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Holice
what is very special about that ruler. All mfgs have 12/5" square rulers. I have a bunch of 12.5" Omnigrid in my workroom.

This ruler is not like the others. LOL sounds like Sesame Street! LOL I am a miniaturist and I need a ruler that has thin lines no yellow fat shading or you can't see the small seams. It has to have 1/8" lines or markings and I need to have the 3 angles marked as I score all the 3" and 4 1/2" clear templates I send out free. so I need more than just a ruler. I work with 3" and less alot of the time and it takes a toll on that part of the ruler. I'm not using it to square up as you would if you were doing 10" or 12" quilt blocks. So I don't want one that has the square up lines as in the Olfa ruler. I need to have the 1" squares and small markings. I wore out one set of angles on this ruler and it has another set of angles so I could continue using it. I wanted that same ruler. It has thin orange lines that will line up really well with mini seams.

I started this thread just joking really! I was being facetious! But I am attached to it a bit. I'm not to any other tool but this ruler I have had for many years and used A LOT! I was just being silly to start with.

Here is the manufacturer's picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104790[/ATTACH]

Rhonda 10-07-2010 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
maybe the person that cuts your templates could recut it into another usable size - maybe 8 x 8 for your potholders?

Of course, you'll have to ignore the markings, but one can get used to doing that.

Good idea Sharon!! I may ask Bob to do that. The center is not too bad. It isn't really worn off at all.