Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with a favorite tool you have to retire?

Blog Entries
    What to do with my old 12 1/2" square ruler? It has been a faithful friend for many years and I now have a new one on the way in the mail.

Do I toss it out in the trash like so much garbage or should I have a funeral and respect the end of a faithful friend?? :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:

Your thoughts are appreciated!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    where did you find to order your ruler from?

I would hold on to it!, cover it with some batting to make a small design pad so you can use it to photograph your blocks

it is attached to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    What to do with my old 12 1/2" square ruler? It has been a faithful friend for many years and I now have a new one on the way in the mail.

Do I toss it out in the trash like so much garbage or should I have a funeral and respect the end of a faithful friend?? :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:

Your thoughts are appreciated!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is there anyway to use a sharpie and redraw the lines????

Power Poster
    I had some 24 x 6 inch quilters rule rulers that were no longer accurate. As much as it pained me, I threw them in the trash.

It didn't seem right to pass it on to someone else when it was "off"

I would bury it.................who knows it might come back to life!

L.O.L. doesn't it break your heart?? I would much rather wear something out, then let it collect dust on the shelf, RIGHT?? :roll:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    where did you find to order your ruler from?

I would hold on to it!, cover it with some batting to make a small design pad so you can use it to photograph your blocks

it is attached to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda

I went on Amazon and found it on Widget Supply. I have used them before for something. Don't remember what right now. I was so excited I said THAT'S IT! But they only had 1. I wanted to get an extra one. oh well I am sooo happy with finding one!!

I had given up searching but thought I would try Amazon. Nothing on Ebay and other sites I tried. I'll have to remember Widget Supply.

I like the suggestion to use it as a base for a board.
    I was kind of thinking of cutting it down and using the center part that isn't so worn. I can cut it with a jigsaw. Not always real neat but I can sand it even.

Blog Entries
    I would stick it back for that time you need to cut and can't find your ruler. Maybe I'm the only one that looses stuff in my work room.:)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Is there anyway to use a sharpie and redraw the lines????
    I have templates cut for me and I have tried to draw lines on the acrylic. It isn't real stable. It can bleed and it wears off real fast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    I would bury it.................who knows it might come back to life!

L.O.L. doesn't it break your heart?? I would much rather wear something out, then let it collect dust on the shelf, RIGHT?? :roll:
    Yep Plum breaks my heart to let go of such a faithful companion!!! LOL LOL LOL

I really do find it hard to let it go. I doubt I will pitch it yet. I will find a use for it probably. I have made sooooo many hotpads (hundreds of them in 12 years)checkbook covers billfolds etc!!! I have used it well!! All I can say is Fiskars makes good products that last!!

I found another one just like it so I hope it lasts me just as long!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Put it in a frame and hang it in your sewing room. Isn't it silly that we get so attached to items like this, I seriously have this problem.

Blog Entries
    I might save it in case you need to fussy cut a 12 1/2" square. Or I would pass it to someone who is just getting started. I've used that excuse to replace a lot of my cutting tools, rulers and mats. Everyone wins.

I can't throw things out (look for me on the next episode of Hoarders); I throw everything in the back of my storage closet including rulers with the corners chopped off.

They would be great in the bottom of a purse / bag / tote. Cover with fabric and you've got great stability!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamS
    They would be great in the bottom of a purse / bag / tote. Cover with fabric and you've got great stability!
    Great idea!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamS
    I love this idea, you could get atleast 2 or 3 out one this :D:D:D

Banned
    what is very special about that ruler. All mfgs have 12/5" square rulers. I have a bunch of 12.5" Omnigrid in my workroom.

I keep mine hanging around --- that way it can see what I'm making!!! ROL!

Power Poster
    maybe the person that cuts your templates could recut it into another usable size - maybe 8 x 8 for your potholders?

Of course, you'll have to ignore the markings, but one can get used to doing that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    what is very special about that ruler. All mfgs have 12/5" square rulers. I have a bunch of 12.5" Omnigrid in my workroom.
    This ruler is not like the others. LOL sounds like Sesame Street! LOL I am a miniaturist and I need a ruler that has thin lines no yellow fat shading or you can't see the small seams. It has to have 1/8" lines or markings and I need to have the 3 angles marked as I score all the 3" and 4 1/2" clear templates I send out free. so I need more than just a ruler. I work with 3" and less alot of the time and it takes a toll on that part of the ruler. I'm not using it to square up as you would if you were doing 10" or 12" quilt blocks. So I don't want one that has the square up lines as in the Olfa ruler. I need to have the 1" squares and small markings. I wore out one set of angles on this ruler and it has another set of angles so I could continue using it. I wanted that same ruler. It has thin orange lines that will line up really well with mini seams.

I started this thread just joking really! I was being facetious! But I am attached to it a bit. I'm not to any other tool but this ruler I have had for many years and used A LOT! I was just being silly to start with.

Here is the manufacturer's picture
    Name:  Attachment-104785.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  26.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    maybe the person that cuts your templates could recut it into another usable size - maybe 8 x 8 for your potholders?

Of course, you'll have to ignore the markings, but one can get used to doing that.
    Good idea Sharon!! I may ask Bob to do that. The center is not too bad. It isn't really worn off at all.

Another thought....if you have someplace where you like to place a plant pot....and don't want it to spill over & ruin wood beneath it.....kind of a conversation piece.... place your "retired" ruler under it like a placemat.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I would repurpose it. It could be useful for squaring up paper if you do papercrafts. It might be useful around the house for home repairs. It's not taking up a whole lot of space in your house, right? So just mark it with a big X so you don't forget that it's not for quilting, and hold on to it until its secondary purpose reveals itself.

RST

Hang it on your wall.

Quote Originally Posted by pojo
    Hang it on your wall.
    I agree. Give it a place of honor.

I'd keep it, you may need it for something. I had an old 6" by 24. I liked the markings on it. But I ran over it with my wheelchair. LOL, so I got a new one. The first quilt I made was all out of whack because it had different markings on it, and I made the blocks the wrong size. I've kept my old one. I still use it to make sure I'm reading the new one correctly. And now I have three!......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast