Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with a favorite tool you have to retire? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-favorite-tool-you-have-retire-t68895.html)

Rhonda 10-07-2010 12:49 PM

What to do with my old 12 1/2" square ruler? It has been a faithful friend for many years and I now have a new one on the way in the mail.

Do I toss it out in the trash like so much garbage or should I have a funeral and respect the end of a faithful friend?? :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:

Your thoughts are appreciated!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

craftybear 10-07-2010 12:53 PM

where did you find to order your ruler from?

I would hold on to it!, cover it with some batting to make a small design pad so you can use it to photograph your blocks

it is attached to you!

Originally Posted by Rhonda
What to do with my old 12 1/2" square ruler? It has been a faithful friend for many years and I now have a new one on the way in the mail.

Do I toss it out in the trash like so much garbage or should I have a funeral and respect the end of a faithful friend?? :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:

Your thoughts are appreciated!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quiltforme 10-07-2010 12:53 PM

Is there anyway to use a sharpie and redraw the lines????

bearisgray 10-07-2010 12:54 PM

I had some 24 x 6 inch quilters rule rulers that were no longer accurate. As much as it pained me, I threw them in the trash.

It didn't seem right to pass it on to someone else when it was "off"

Grama Lehr 10-07-2010 12:54 PM

I would bury it.................who knows it might come back to life!

L.O.L. doesn't it break your heart?? I would much rather wear something out, then let it collect dust on the shelf, RIGHT?? :roll:

Rhonda 10-07-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
where did you find to order your ruler from?

I would hold on to it!, cover it with some batting to make a small design pad so you can use it to photograph your blocks

it is attached to you!

Originally Posted by Rhonda

I went on Amazon and found it on Widget Supply. I have used them before for something. Don't remember what right now. I was so excited I said THAT'S IT! But they only had 1. I wanted to get an extra one. oh well I am sooo happy with finding one!!

I had given up searching but thought I would try Amazon. Nothing on Ebay and other sites I tried. I'll have to remember Widget Supply.

I like the suggestion to use it as a base for a board.
I was kind of thinking of cutting it down and using the center part that isn't so worn. I can cut it with a jigsaw. Not always real neat but I can sand it even.

erstan947 10-07-2010 12:58 PM

I would stick it back for that time you need to cut and can't find your ruler. Maybe I'm the only one that looses stuff in my work room.:)

Rhonda 10-07-2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Is there anyway to use a sharpie and redraw the lines????

I have templates cut for me and I have tried to draw lines on the acrylic. It isn't real stable. It can bleed and it wears off real fast.

Rhonda 10-07-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
I would bury it.................who knows it might come back to life!

L.O.L. doesn't it break your heart?? I would much rather wear something out, then let it collect dust on the shelf, RIGHT?? :roll:

Yep Plum breaks my heart to let go of such a faithful companion!!! LOL LOL LOL

I really do find it hard to let it go. I doubt I will pitch it yet. I will find a use for it probably. I have made sooooo many hotpads (hundreds of them in 12 years)checkbook covers billfolds etc!!! I have used it well!! All I can say is Fiskars makes good products that last!!

I found another one just like it so I hope it lasts me just as long!

cjomomma 10-07-2010 01:16 PM

Put it in a frame and hang it in your sewing room. Isn't it silly that we get so attached to items like this, I seriously have this problem.