Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What do you do with a favorite tool you have to retire?

slowly going forward cuz' I can't find reverse
    my bad! I thought she was talking about a man! I won't post my answer then :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibori
    my bad! I thought she was talking about a man! I won't post my answer then :)
    :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Rhonda. I'll check to see if I can locate one or maybe a source for them.

P.S. -- Love your little templates! Thanks, too, for those.

I would in good conscience put it in a frame and hang it on my wall.

Blog Entries
    I have templates cut for me and I have tried to draw lines on the acrylic. It isn't real stable. It can bleed and it wears off real fast.[/quote]
    --------------------
    Ever try cutting into the lines with a Dremel tool? Some of them can mark plastic easily, and some of the marking tools will put the color deep inside the cut line.

Blog Entries
    Well Rhonda, if you discard a faithful friend just because they get old and worn then you're not as good a friend as they thought!!

Seriously, I just keep old stuff because I'm sentimental and because you never know but what you'll need it again.. or may have someone over and want to show them something.. Who knows..

Retire it to a special box you keep tucked away someplace in your sewing room.. that way it will be content and happy with all it's friends that its spent years with already!!

Blog Entries
    Actually I have a friend Dorothy who does alot of my prep work and I asked her today if she wants it. She isn't a quilter so much but she makes little dresses for her granddaughters. So I am going to give it to her.

I just hated to throw it away. I really was being silly when I started this thread but I do get a bit attached to things at times. When I was a kid I would get attached to a favorite outfit and when my mom would give it away to friends I would have a fit even tho it didn't fit anymore! I hated to give up favorite clothes. I have done that with Vans we have had too. It is hard to part with them! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Quote Originally Posted by PamS
    They would be great in the bottom of a purse / bag / tote. Cover with fabric and you've got great stability!
    I love this idea, you could get atleast 2 or 3 out one this :D:D:D
    Good idea! I was really looking around for something for my bow tucks.

Hang it on the wall and call it art, home decor, put it next to the kid's pictures, Isn't it part of the family by now?? and Knowing you quilt, most visitors would think nothing of it !! :)

I personally would not give it to someone who quilts, unless lines and numbers, etc are ledgible.

RECYCLE PLEASE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JANW
    RECYCLE PLEASE
    I am going to. I have a friend Dorothy who does alot of my prep work and I asked her today if she wants it. She isn't a quilter so much but she makes little dresses for her granddaughters. So I am going to give it to her.

What a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    where did you find to order your ruler from?

I would hold on to it!, cover it with some batting to make a small design pad so you can use it to photograph your blocks

it is attached to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    What to do with my old 12 1/2" square ruler? It has been a faithful friend for many years and I now have a new one on the way in the mail.

Do I toss it out in the trash like so much garbage or should I have a funeral and respect the end of a faithful friend?? :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:

Your thoughts are appreciated!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I would stick it back for that time you need to cut and can't find your ruler. Maybe I'm the only one that looses stuff in my work room.:)
    HAHAHA!!! I doubt that!

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Put it in a frame and hang it in your sewing room. Isn't it silly that we get so attached to items like this, I seriously have this problem.
    Me too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    I would bury it.................who knows it might come back to life!

L.O.L. doesn't it break your heart?? I would much rather wear something out, then let it collect dust on the shelf, RIGHT?? :roll:
    Yep Plum breaks my heart to let go of such a faithful companion!!! LOL LOL LOL

I really do find it hard to let it go. I doubt I will pitch it yet. I will find a use for it probably. I have made sooooo many hotpads (hundreds of them in 12 years)checkbook covers billfolds etc!!! I have used it well!! All I can say is Fiskars makes good products that last!!

I found another one just like it so I hope it lasts me just as long!
    NNNOOOOOO!!!!
    Don't throw it out.
    There is a technique when using small templates where you tape them to the underside of a ruler so one of the straight edges is against the straight edge of the ruler.
    Then you can see thru the ruler to line up the fabric for the next cut.
    With a 12" square, you could put a template in each corner!
    Save your faithful friend and just find her a new job!

Just took my old one to my grand kids. Their mom can even use it. A square ruler can be traced around for use on paper too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!! I am giving it to my friend Dorothy to use when she sews her DGDs dresses.

Power Poster
    See if someone else in the famly can use it. I use my old ones for things like makeing straight lines when I cut square linoleum etc.

If it's still in decent shape, I would keep it to take to classes, where I don't want to take my best tools. If it's not in good shape, and you don't have a clear use for it, just toss it. Haven't you seen the TV show on hoarders? Don't start holding on to things with no value. That's probably how they started. ;-)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We do a lot of home remodel and repair and I have used some of my quilting tools on outdoor projects. Much easier to do when its not the pristine and perfect ones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    We do a lot of home remodel and repair and I have used some of my quilting tools on outdoor projects. Much easier to do when its not the pristine and perfect ones.
    I have used my rulers to mark lines to saw with. So much easier than the old fashioned way of measuring and marking and drawing a line from pencil mark to pencil mark.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3