Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with a favorite tool you have to retire? >

What do you do with a favorite tool you have to retire?

What do you do with a favorite tool you have to retire?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debi S
Sign it, date it, and frame it with your favorite piece of material under it.
I love that one! LOL
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter64779
I usually donate mine to someone in need that is starting out in quilting.
I would if anyone wants it. But I broke the handle area long ago and it is completely faded off in the right bottom 3" x 4" section and also faded on the left side about an inch in all along that side. so it has it's problems. I just hate to throw anything away. so if anyone wants it just let me know.

You can see the worn areas and the broken area at the top where the hole was for hanging it.

I need to be able to use the angle lines and I use the right side all the time. so I need one that isn't faded off. But if anyone can use it just send me your postal address. First one gets it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-110885.jpe  
Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I can't throw things out (look for me on the next episode of Hoarders); I throw everything in the back of my storage closet including rulers with the corners chopped off.
I the opposite I "throw" all kinds of things away. My theory is use it or loose it.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by quilter64779
I usually donate mine to someone in need that is starting out in quilting.
I would if anyone wants it. But I broke the handle area long ago and it is completely faded off in the right bottom 3" x 4" section and also faded on the left side about an inch in all along that side. so it has it's problems. I just hate to throw anything away. so if anyone wants it just let me know.

You can see the worn areas and the broken area at the top where the hole was for hanging it.

I need to be able to use the angle lines and I use the right side all the time. so I need one that isn't faded off. But if anyone can use it just send me your postal address. First one gets it.
It's been well loved but now its trash :-) If it weren't broken I would agree if you could repurpose it like craftybear suggested but your ruler lived a LONG life.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I have old rulers hung on the garage wall. They are used a lot for marking straight lines on cardboard, tile, wood, plastic, etc. DH always seems to reach for one for something.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 AM

If you can cut it - cut it down to size, cover and use as a mousepad. Speaking of which, I need one. So, when you're finished you can send it this way :-D

Sally
Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 AM

Rhonda, who makes the ruler? It looks like something I'd like to have. I'm not too fond of all those "yellow" markings!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by PamS
They would be great in the bottom of a purse / bag / tote. Cover with fabric and you've got great stability!
Really clever idea !!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Evie
Rhonda, who makes the ruler? It looks like something I'd like to have. I'm not too fond of all those "yellow" markings!
Fiskars did make it but they don't make the same one anymore. They are now making one that has a pink edge to two sides and only one corner has the three angle marks. It would be fine for most people but not for me.
I did find one by searching on Amazon but I don't know if there are any more to be found. I would like to find at least one more before they are totally defunct!! LOL If that isn't already the case.

CraftyBear posted a link earlier in this thread that goes to the picture of that ruler with the pink on it if you want to see it.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:49 AM

recycle it for sure!