Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with a favorite tool you have to retire?

Blog Entries
    thanks for all the suggestions! I will have to give it some thought. Until the new one comes next week it is still in business! LOL

I wouldn't be a hurry to decide to do anything except keep it around. You may not like the new one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
    I wouldn't be a hurry to decide to do anything except keep it around. You may not like the new one.
    The new one is the exact same ruler just not all broken and faded like the one I have now! LOL

But yeah I will keep it for now and then figure out what to do with it. Thanks!-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    What to do with my old 12 1/2" square ruler? It has been a faithful friend for many years and I now have a new one on the way in the mail.

Do I toss it out in the trash like so much garbage or should I have a funeral and respect the end of a faithful friend?? :XD: :XD: :XD: :XD:

Your thoughts are appreciated!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Send it to me. I don't have one that size! I will treat it with TLC, and give it a whole new life. :thumbup: PM me if you want to send it....

Shhhhh ... don't say it too loudly that it is being replaced .... if it hears you it might run away .......

I would make a mouse pad out of it and it would always be near you.

Have a service for it in the back yard! As sad as it is, think about it like this: If you keep all the things that have been replaced, its taking up room that could be used for new toys or fabric. Give a speach, make the family go out in the back yard, do it proper!

I was kind of thinking of cutting it down and using the center part that isn't so worn. I can cut it with a jigsaw. Not always real neat but I can sand it even.[/quote]

Cut it with a glass cutter and you will not have to sand it at all. If you don't have one, take it to a store that cuts glass for windows and ask them to cut it for you. Most will do it at no charge or maybe a dollar for thier 5 min of time.

I would try to cut it ( or have someone do it) and cover the pieces to use as bag bottoms!

Blog Entries
    i would donate it to any organization that has a thrift store, or to the guild, senior center, local long-term care facility, school art department....
    there are lots of places/people who put to good use things we no longer need. i would never just throw one away...even if it was broke i would find a way to salvage as much of it as possible and donate it.
    thats just me, i don't throw away anything i think someone else could put to use; i pass it on instead of filling landfills.

I usually donate mine to someone in need that is starting out in quilting.

Take it to a glass company and they can cut it for you that way you wouldn't get hurt trying to cut. I took some cardboard templates and they cut me plexiglas templates they are wonderful. Not expensive either.

I broke the corner off my 6 x 24-inch ruler. I saved it because I use those handles on my rulers. If I wanted to roll up fabric on my ruler, I had to take the handle off. Now I have one designated for that purpose. The broken corner isn't a problem.

12-1/2 square is a hard size to think about what to do. Maybe wrap it in lots of batting and fabric and make a little ironing board out of it to use next to your machine. Just make sure you use lots of batting so it doesn't melt!

Or . . . just throw it away. I'm like you though, I hate the thought of adding more to the landfill, especially plastic.

Sign it, date it, and frame it with your favorite piece of material under it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter64779
    Take it to a glass company and they can cut it for you that way you wouldn't get hurt trying to cut. I took some cardboard templates and they cut me plexiglas templates they are wonderful. Not expensive either.
    I offer free templates to everyone who sends me their postal address. I have a friend who cuts them for me. so I can ask Bob to cut it. I do have a cutter that I bought but it is harder to cut acrylic than you might think. I use my cutter to score templates with a 30 degree angle for the templates I send out free. I use saws all the time so no problem with that. I grew up in a construction family and so did my DH so I know how to do it safely.
    Thanks for the thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi S
    Sign it, date it, and frame it with your favorite piece of material under it.
    I love that one! LOL

Blog Entries
    I would if anyone wants it. But I broke the handle area long ago and it is completely faded off in the right bottom 3" x 4" section and also faded on the left side about an inch in all along that side. so it has it's problems. I just hate to throw anything away. so if anyone wants it just let me know.

You can see the worn areas and the broken area at the top where the hole was for hanging it.

I need to be able to use the angle lines and I use the right side all the time. so I need one that isn't faded off. But if anyone can use it just send me your postal address. First one gets it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I can't throw things out (look for me on the next episode of Hoarders); I throw everything in the back of my storage closet including rulers with the corners chopped off.
    I the opposite I "throw" all kinds of things away. My theory is use it or loose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I would if anyone wants it. But I broke the handle area long ago and it is completely faded off in the right bottom 3" x 4" section and also faded on the left side about an inch in all along that side. so it has it's problems. I just hate to throw anything away. so if anyone wants it just let me know.

You can see the worn areas and the broken area at the top where the hole was for hanging it.

I need to be able to use the angle lines and I use the right side all the time. so I need one that isn't faded off. But if anyone can use it just send me your postal address. First one gets it.
    It's been well loved but now its trash :-) If it weren't broken I would agree if you could repurpose it like craftybear suggested but your ruler lived a LONG life.

Blog Entries
    I have old rulers hung on the garage wall. They are used a lot for marking straight lines on cardboard, tile, wood, plastic, etc. DH always seems to reach for one for something.

If you can cut it - cut it down to size, cover and use as a mousepad. Speaking of which, I need one. So, when you're finished you can send it this way :-D

Sally

Blog Entries
    Rhonda, who makes the ruler? It looks like something I'd like to have. I'm not too fond of all those "yellow" markings!

Quote Originally Posted by PamS
    They would be great in the bottom of a purse / bag / tote. Cover with fabric and you've got great stability!
    Really clever idea !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Rhonda, who makes the ruler? It looks like something I'd like to have. I'm not too fond of all those "yellow" markings!
    Fiskars did make it but they don't make the same one anymore. They are now making one that has a pink edge to two sides and only one corner has the three angle marks. It would be fine for most people but not for me.
    I did find one by searching on Amazon but I don't know if there are any more to be found. I would like to find at least one more before they are totally defunct!! LOL If that isn't already the case.

CraftyBear posted a link earlier in this thread that goes to the picture of that ruler with the pink on it if you want to see it.

recycle it for sure!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast