Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-t221540.html)

quiltstringz 05-15-2013 08:26 AM

If you haven't used too much of the fabric - I would probably just toss the few blocks I did and put the rest into my stash. If I have all of the blocks or most of them done I would finish or pass it on.

Annie68 05-15-2013 08:33 AM

I have packed it all up with the intended fabric, put it away for a length of time, got it out again and found "this isn't so bad after all", and then finished it!

nyelphaba 05-15-2013 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6065331)
Like a previous post... I have found it very liberating to just "make it go away" and have tossed some just to ugly to finish. For years I stressed and made myself finish projects ... it really impacted my quilting in a very negative way, being bogged down in "bummer quilts". Free yourself of projects that have become a burden.. Life is too short and there are better quilts waiting to me made.
Sometimes I cut the fabrics into scraps , if the blocks were large enough.

I agree 100%. Bravo.

Daylesewblessed 05-15-2013 09:36 AM

It depends to me on how close to finished the project is and how much work I have put into it. Sometimes I get sick of a project and am not happy with how it is turning out. If I finish it and set it aside, it usually looks much better to me at a later date.

On the other hand, sometimes the solution is to scale down, simplify the pattern, finish it, and give it to charity.

Jingle 05-15-2013 10:52 AM

I have done a few I wasn't real crazy about, although not many. Just finish it up and you may discover it isn't as bad as you thought.

JulieR 05-15-2013 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Annie68 (Post 6065457)
I have packed it all up with the intended fabric, put it away for a length of time, got it out again and found "this isn't so bad after all", and then finished it!

I've done this, too!

quiltingcandy 05-15-2013 11:26 AM

It happens to all of us - I don't have a good imagination when it comes to color, tend to buy what I like, then when it gets home, gets washed and in to the block there is some bizarre change and I wonder "what was I thinking?" when I bought it. So I have been known to take the blocks apart and get another fabric, if it is the pattern of the block then will scrap the entire project. My hardest projects were making an Oakland Raiders quilt for my daughter's friend and then a SF 49'ers quilt for a friend of mine. (Kept feeling like a traitor to my San Diego Chargers.)

nygal 05-15-2013 11:30 AM

I stop working on it and set it aside. If I still no longer care for it I put the fabrics away and will use them for another time.

Jan in VA 05-15-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 6065289)
On a few select occasions, I've tossed it in the trash and found it wonderfully liberating!

Oh my dear girl, I will stand in confession with you; let's shock them all!!:D Just as long as my mother doesn't find out!:shock:

Jan in VA

meldmac 05-15-2013 11:38 AM

It's a rag quilt pattern and I have a lot of the blocks quilted but only two rows put together, think I may just use the leftover 6" squares for scrap fabric. This is the second rag quilt I've done and I really don't seem to enjoy doing them at all.