Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Do You Do When .... ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-when-t37207.html)

zz-pd 02-17-2010 03:09 PM

just make yourself do one our two blocks before you allow yourself the pleasure of doing anythig else.[disaplein] good luck! penny

hcarpanini 02-17-2010 03:22 PM

Why dont you put it along side your sewing machine and as you are working on something else, feed your pieces in between instead of cutting threads. Before you know it, it will be done.

ReRe 02-17-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by hcarpanini
feed your pieces in between instead of cutting threads. Before you know it, it will be done.

This is the best idea I've heard yet. All I have to do now is figure out how to do a log cabin inbetween.

hcarpanini 02-17-2010 04:14 PM

Do you chain piece? Just stack a pile of the next row you are working on.

pittsburgpam 02-17-2010 04:16 PM

I too find that sometimes I need to tell myself that I am not going to start that new project I want to do until I get this one DONE! It keeps me going. I also organize the project very precisely. I cut ALL the pieces I need so there is no, "I can't make those blocks now because the pieces aren't cut." type of thing.

Lay all the parts out how they need to be done. Stack all your strips by light, dark, color or however you're doing it, and keep them out right there by the sewing machine. Don't make it so that you have to get it out to work on it.

zennia 02-17-2010 04:29 PM

I thought it was just me. I only had a few more blocks to do to finish a project i really love. I kept putting it off. Today I finally finished them. Even though i love the quilt pattern,colors and doing the blocks I dont think I like doing the same thing over and over. Think next I will try a sampler.

kasmitty1 02-17-2010 04:33 PM

The only time I really don't finish something, is if I'm just totally disgusted with the way it's turning out. That's only happened a couple of times though.

MadQuilter 02-17-2010 05:35 PM

What you describe is exactly why we need so many UFO, WIP, and PIGS threads. Can you bribe yourself with a reward that may be gotten or done when the project is finished?

Rainbow 02-18-2010 05:09 AM

Bribes work...also soothing music....found THAT very helpful....

vjengels 02-18-2010 05:23 AM

Prism99 has a good point; the timer works for those projects that just don't seem to excite me. I'm currently working on a log cabin myself, I love a scrap anything, but a log cabin, draws me, like a cleanser between other projects, so I do those more than any other pattern....I started working 'a block' at a time, that was very tedious to me, as it's a 'planned' srappy... so now I'm doing a round at a time, and I've found that it really helps to get how ever many finished blocks you have up on the design wall so you can see your progress, it started moving along after that. Or, there's always the option of just not finishing it,; I've send a couple quilts to the second hand store like that before, when it just became too much of a chore to work on them... Good luck.