Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Do You Do When .... ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-when-t37207.html)

Dodie 02-18-2010 05:39 AM

we have a couple or so groups here that get together for mini retreats places where they have church camps, a motel,a church or comunnity center and spend time working on our UFO's sure makes those problem things easier to finish I've got one now that is just my carry around thing sometimes just to a friends house when we get together to sew then it is fun to work on
Good Luck Dodie

Dodie 02-18-2010 05:40 AM

we have a couple or so groups here that get together for mini retreats places where they have church camps, a motel,a church or comunnity center and spend time working on our UFO's sure makes those problem things easier to finish I've got one now that is just my carry around thing sometimes just to a friends house when we get together to sew then it is fun to work on
Good Luck Dodie

fireworkslover 02-18-2010 05:41 AM

I know the feeling. I have so many different projects I'm in the middle of right now. I've one side of a duvet for our comforter pieced, but packed away in a big ziploc bag. I haven't decided on a pattern or fabric for the other side yet. I'm in the middle of a fireworks challenge quilt -(deadline is Aug. 7), for this year's convention, I'm sewing hexagons together for a large OBW, plus I've fabric for placemats to make for us and gifts... The list goes on and on it seems. Last Fall, when I was cutting and sewing like mad to get the first duvet side pieced, I wanted to get started on the OBW, but I made the decision that "No, I'd finish the duvet first, before I started anything else!" That was incentive to get it pieced. I also am working full time too, so there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day or night. Maybe when we retire in a couple years, I'll have enough hours.

May in Jersey 02-18-2010 06:00 AM

I'm working on finishing 50 log cabin blocks right now. I find that I can't plan to do just one block a day because that never happens, so I try to set a goal of sewing a row of strips on 10 blocks, if I still have time I do another 10 blocks. I'm lucky to have a sewing room so I leave everything ready to go next time I can sew, spending time setting up to sew does take a lot of time.

Now, if I can just motivate myself to work on the quilt I want to put in my guild's show in May I'll be doing something. All the blocks are made and arranged on my design wall but they've been sitting there since the beginning of the year. May in Jersey

Jingle 02-18-2010 06:22 AM

I work on one quilt at a time and I have no problem finishing, because I will not start another before I finish what I have already started. I have just always done it this way. As I am finishing one I start planning the next, so I'm anxious to get finished, that is my motivation.

cacarte 02-18-2010 09:41 AM

With the last project I had like that I took it to a 4 day quilting retreat and NOTHING ELSE. I finally finished it . 64 12" blocks. That was a lot of work.
Cindy

GladGrams 02-18-2010 09:59 AM

Actually I am so glad to read this because I thought I was the only one who gets hung up and simply can't make myself pick it up again. I have no answers only more questions of my own.

JoAnnGC 02-18-2010 10:09 AM

Don't give up! I started my log cabin over three years ago and just finished the last block this morning. I'll probably be playing with the layout for a few days until I decide how I want to put it together but I am so excited that I have finally gotten to this point and you will be too if you just keep at it. Please don't wait as long as I did to finish it!!! Keep us posted on your progress :thumbup:

Rose Marie 02-18-2010 12:49 PM

I love chain piecing it saves time and thread. I stack each section then start chain sewing up to 25 at a time and then cut off the first one sewn and start chaining the next stack. By cutting them off one at a time you can keep track of where your at easier.

GrammaNan 02-18-2010 02:04 PM

Some of the local quilt shops have times when you can gather and work on things together. Maybe the socialization will help you want to work on the squares there. Or invite some friends over, have some healthy snacks and just have a quilting day.