Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you love/What do you not love.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-love-what-do-you-not-love-t153754.html)

Xstitshmom 09-17-2011 04:49 PM

I don't really enjoy the actual quilting part! I love piecing - it's probably my favorite part!

0tis 09-17-2011 04:50 PM

I love it all except for the pressing - I do it quick and I know I need improvement but I am getting there.

Diana Lynne 09-17-2011 04:52 PM

I love just about everything with quilting..But the one thing I do not love is cutting fabric..I am always so scared that I am going to mess it up and cut it wrong..

quiltingb1 09-17-2011 05:10 PM

I enjoy all of it except the cutting. I used to even enjoy handquilting but the hands just don't hold out for long any more so it takes me a lot longer to do it.

Christine27 09-17-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
I love planning. I love choosing fabrics and choosing a pattern. I have many ideas written down.

I don't mind cutting the fabric. I enjoy sewing the pieces together and watching it come alive and take the shape that I envisioned.

But I really really dislike squaring up the blocks. I'm making a Friendship Star. It's going to have 42 blocks (I think). Each block has 1 solid square and 8 HST. I detest squaring up those HST's before I sew them all together to form the block. And it's putting a damper on my quilting this weekend. I keep taking breaks. I wish I could hire someone to square my squares! :roll:

I hear you! I'm finishing up on a baby quilt for a friend and have a pinwheel block in each corner. The first two I did not square up the HST. The 2nd two, I did square up the HST. The first two, my seems and points matched up pretty good. The 2nd two turned out awful, in spite of the extra time taken to square them up!

Missysgottohelp 09-17-2011 05:32 PM

I hate squaring up the block. This takes forever! I can't sit for long periods so I do a few than go do something else and do a few more. Takes me longer to square them up than to do everything else.

sak658 09-17-2011 05:58 PM

I love it all, especially right now when I can't do it.

Hand surgery!!!! but soon I hope...

Glassquilt 09-17-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Moonglow
I love the whole process of making quilts, it's the distractions (eg housework, shopping etc) that sometimes frustrates me.

Ditto

GingerK 09-17-2011 06:34 PM

MZStitch I'm with you. I hate choosing the fabric. I'm always afraid that there is something better that I haven't seen yet or someone will say 'why'd you put THAT colour in there?' I know that it is MY quilt but I am just not confident with colours. Unfortunately, I don't have a LQS nearer than 30 miles and work (while paying for my fabric obsession) does limit my time.

BUT I LOOOVE designing. And I must admit that, given the time to play (and create) I'm not bad at it--especially when I know that the cost of the fabric is minimal and the local animal shelter doesn't care that it is a creation-gone-wonky. I actually look for super-cheap fabric to keep on hand to try out new patterns or something of my own creation.

Oh and yeah--that housework thing--don't like that much either--or laundry--or yard work--or just work (oh, yeah guess I have to keep doing that one--pays for the previously mentioned obsession)

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 09-17-2011 10:09 PM

I love everything about putting a quilt together except for the hand sewing. I give all my quilts and projects to my friend's 90 year old mother who just loves to hand sew. She won't take any money either so I send a bag of candy each time, which she absolutely loves.