Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you sew on??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-sew-t53147.html)

katier825 07-06-2010 01:50 PM

Most of the time I sew on the dining room table. It's really too tall though. When I'm doing binding or quilting, I haul out a 2x4 plastic folding table and spread out right next to the dining table. I can lower it to a comfortable height, which is better on the shoulders.

If I had the space, I'd get 2 filing cabinets and a length of formica countertop. I'd make a cutout for my machine and add a shelf underneath to hold it. I miss my old kitchen table. It had a formica top and the quilts just glided so nicely over it.

IKEA has some inexpensive table tops/legs that I was looking at.

TNAngel 07-06-2010 03:40 PM

My DH bought me a nice sewing cabinet last Christmas that I sew on.

tweetee 07-06-2010 03:50 PM

I have an old Horn Sewing cabinet with a gas lift for my embroidery machine that I got off ebay, and I have an old kitchen dining table for my sewing machine and cutting mat that I got from my brother for nothing when he got a new dining suite. Works great

JanetM 07-06-2010 03:54 PM

A Horn Quilter's Dream table with a lift. I sew on a Husqvarna Viking Designer SE. ;)

StitchinJoy 07-06-2010 03:55 PM

I have a Pfaff and I sew in the corner of our sunroom on an antique pine kitchen table. My husband bought the kitchen set, table and 2 chairs, for $40. I like having that second chair. I use it to pile up blocks that need pressing!

mom-6 07-06-2010 03:56 PM

Just saw the bed risers at Dollar General over the weekend. Did not check the price. They would work nicely to raise the filing cabinets so you don't have to bend over so far for cutting (if you're tall like I am, that is a real issue!)

moonrise 07-06-2010 04:04 PM

I sew on the kitchen table I inherited from my Granny. It's in my sewing room. I think Granny would be happy I'm using it as a sewing table, because both she and my great-grandmother (her mother) were avid sewers/sewists, too. :)

StitchinJoy 07-06-2010 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Just saw the bed risers at Dollar General over the weekend. Did not check the price. They would work nicely to raise the filing cabinets so you don't have to bend over so far for cutting (if you're tall like I am, that is a real issue!)

Oh, i bet they were a dollar!

brushandthimble 07-06-2010 04:34 PM

I have the same Brother machine 1500, Elna Quilters Dream, Brother 4000D.
I have a personal size plastic table from Costco set up in the living room with either the Elena or 4000D on it, the other is in my sewing room on the banquet table.

Lostn51 07-06-2010 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Depending on where I am at and what I am sewing on. All of my machines in the house have cabinets: Singer 500A, Singer 66 Red Eye in a treadle, 1963 Kenmore Model 43.

Out in my studio I have a central quilting bench with wooden plates that I can change out to fit which ever machine I want to use. And it is my central treadle (all of my machines out there are treadled)

Billy