Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think of this idea for selling fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-idea-selling-fabric-t69539.html)

leiladylei54 10-11-2010 08:53 AM

Even using a flat rate box, I would still like to see what and how much I'm getting. Sorry, but I'm always the skeptic and like to see what I'm getting.

np3 10-11-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
Even using a flat rate box, I would still like to see what and how much I'm getting. Sorry, but I'm always the skeptic and like to see what I'm getting.

See earlier post about one picture with the fabrics turned on their side in the box. You would get a really good idea of the amount per fabric from the total.

Rebecca VLQ 10-11-2010 09:18 AM

Yup. Simple...do this:

Grab about a "boxful" and call it Box #1.
Take a pic of the pile.
Use a kitchen scale or bathroom scale and give the weight.
Give the price.
SOLD!

When you're clearing like that, you don't need a pic of each and every single fabric you're offering. But if someone can peek at the pile, you'll be alright. And folks that need to be more choosy? Well, maybe this isn't the sale for them.

raedar63 10-11-2010 09:23 AM

I for one buy lots of "grab bag"type auctions on ebay, But then again I make scrappy quilts. From experience trying to sell fabric, unless it is some high demand designer type you will not get your money back.
I would try it the easy way first ,you can always go back and do it the hard way if they do not sell. Then again , thats how I roll as they say lol!

Ps,
I am in the market for brights/novelties!

kclausing 10-11-2010 10:00 AM

Keep in mind that if a member can purchase fabric for $5/yd at their LQS (my LQS starts at $4 per yard), they won't pay that for sight unseen fabric. Pictures are definately needed unless you are going to offer a super deal on it.

katied772 10-11-2010 10:29 AM

Well, I'm trying a couple (with pics ) to see how it goes. Thanks for the ideas and opinions.

brenda21 10-11-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by kclausing
Keep in mind that if a member can purchase fabric for $5/yd at their LQS (my LQS starts at $4 per yard), they won't pay that for sight unseen fabric. Pictures are definately needed unless you are going to offer a super deal on it.

Where in the world is the LQS that has fabric for $4.00/yd?????hahahah

np3 10-11-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by brenda21

Originally Posted by kclausing

Where in the world is the LQS that has fabric for $4.00/yd?????hahahah

Ours have sales table at $4....sometimes.....mostly $5 on sale when they want to get rid it. They call it clearance.

ragamuffin 10-11-2010 11:37 AM

You are in Ohio, and I know a lot of Amish ladies live there and will quilt all fall/winter and spring before the next crop is planted. Just tell one Amish lady and the info flies up the lanes. Believe me. Just give your phone number and when everything is for sale and they will be there. I would try that first. Go to a store where they have their "scratch & dent" food and post a flyer inside the door with a lot of your phone number tabs hanging off the bottom. Guaranteed to sell. Good luck. Then you won't have to package or mail anything.

dyer804 10-11-2010 11:40 AM

Maybe offer small boxes as well as medium boxes by color or type (kids, brights, Christmas, etc.). Give approximate yardage (10 - 12 yards) and approximate lengths (1 - 3 yard pieces). I'd be will to risk $20 - $25 for a grab bag box color of my choice. Once people hear comments back from others about what a good deal it is, their doubts will vanish or the grab bag idea just isn't for them! Good Luck