Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-think-most-controversial-subject-quilting-t154247.html)

Katy 09-19-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Phannie1

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Controversial for us or for others?

I'd say there are a blue zillion folks out there who still do not know what machine quilting really is. They envision a $39 Walmart quilt, not the beauties created here.

Yep, machine quilting gets dumped into the foreign cheap quilting catagory. the question that gets ask is it "handmade" if it is machine quilted? I think so!

Me too

fabric_fancy 09-19-2011 03:52 PM

art quilts vs. traditional quilts.

i even heard people argue at the quilt show in PA that art quilts shouldn't be allowed into the show because they aren't really quilts.

then the next big one is computer quilting vs machine free motion quilting.

many people want computer quilting to be a different category so it doesn't compete against all hand guided free motion quilting.

Scissor Queen 09-19-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Katy

Originally Posted by clsurz
Around here I belong to two quilt groups and both say "we have no quilt police here".

Can't say I've ever heard any of the two groups ever debate about what should be or not regarding wash or not wash...about fabrics....etc.

But than again I've only been in one over a year and the other one 9 months so perhaps haven't gotten to know them well enough yet.

As for "quilt police" I tell them around here that I live to annoy the quilt police. LOL

I like that last line. I may need to borrow it. My motto is "my quilt. My way. "

I'm pretty much "my quilt, my rules" and if you don't like my rules or my quilts, go make your own.

I think the hottest topic has been "wash, don't wash" for the last couple of months. Copyright rears its ugly head periodically.

GrannieAnnie 09-19-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
How much quilting on a quilt is too much usually brings out the beast in a few people.

And IMO, it depends on the quilt itself!

deanneellen 09-19-2011 03:59 PM

When I read your question, the first thing that popped into my head was the "art quilt vs traditional quilt" debate. So glad there are no quilt police so we all get to make up our own minds and have our own preferences.

daisyboo9 09-19-2011 04:07 PM

How about fork or spoon?

Sadiemae 09-19-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
How about fork or spoon?

Both!

bjeriann 09-19-2011 04:08 PM

One topic I made the mistake of voicing my opinion on was jelly rolls (all 1 color). What I said was taken the wrong way and I was slammed for it.

wuv2quilt 09-19-2011 04:14 PM

I guess it would be using sheets as backing vs. fabric. I don't see the problem with sheets....I saved some for quilting that feel absolutely sinful.

suebee 09-19-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
How much quilting on a quilt is too much usually brings out the beast in a few people.

Amen!