Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you want to do with your stuff? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-want-do-your-stuff-t103330.html)

DogHouseMom 02-26-2011 05:01 PM

My first husband had a passion for comic books. THOUSANDS of them. So speaking for someone on the receiving end, one who has to dispose of the stuff, I would have preferred not to have had that task. As it is, guess what, I've still got them!! Not out of sentimentality, but the fact that I couldn't get anyone to come to the house to look at and buy. They all wanted me to tote it all to them. THOUSANDS of books in DOZENS of comic boxes. I know enough about them to know not to stick them on a table in a garage sale - quite a few are worth far more than that.

As fate would have it, my current husbands son is 16, just got interested in comics AND is coming here for a visit in May. I made him an offer, sort them, catalog them, and he can 1/2 of whatever we sold them for. He jumped at it. I'll even let him "cherry pick" it ... to an extent.

So thanks for the post, as I would hate to saddle my husband with the chore of sorting out and finding a home for all my sewing stuff. Nobody in my family quilts, and I only have one friend in another state who might be interested. Knowing my husband, I suspect he'd chuck it all!!

Stitchnripper 02-26-2011 05:08 PM

I tease that my son is going to call 1-800-GOT-JUNK the minute I take my last breath, but, if my granddaughter or nieces aren't interested, I'm going to make sure all my "stuff" goes to a good home or two. I too love garage/yard/estate sales and wonder how some of the things end up on a table for $1.00. If they could tell a story it would be pretty interesting, I'm thinking.

stitchinwitch 02-26-2011 05:12 PM

Hey - if I can't take it with me, I am NOT GOIN'!

JulieR 02-26-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by willferg
I think I'd be okay with my stuff going in a yard sale...I'd be happy for someone like you to come along, appreciate the bargain, think a little about me, and then go home excited to start quilting!

I love this answer!

lynnsim 02-26-2011 05:14 PM

This is a thought-provoking subject, which I have thought of. One of my DDs is interested in sewing; the other one is not; neither is my DIL. I have told my younget DD to keep what she wants and to sell the rest, but not for pennies, lol. If I'm lucky enough to "know" when my time is limited, I'll give some away to who I choose.
Right now, I'm going thru the vintage fabrics from my mother's stash and selling on eBay. At least, she won't have to worry about that fabric, lol.

Shelbie 02-26-2011 05:16 PM

My daughters both know that they can have whatever they want and then they are to give the rest to my quilt guild who will use my fabric for Community Quilts and sell my notions and machines for guild funds.

maryb119 02-26-2011 05:18 PM

My oldest daughter gets it all. She's the only one of my 3 girls that quilts.

sewingsuz 02-26-2011 05:42 PM

I guess my granddaughter because she is the only one that sews. She just started to sew a couple yrs ago. I have three daughters and not one of them sews.

pollyjvan9 02-26-2011 05:42 PM

Not giving up hope yet that one of my daughters will decide that she would love to quilt. Otherwise it will go to a small sewing group I attend.

babyfireo4 02-26-2011 05:53 PM

Never thought of who would get what I have when I go. My MIL likes to tease me and say that I'm "waiting" for her to pass so I can have all of her quilting things! I told her that's insane! If I wanted to use any of her items ie. notions or some coordinating fabric that I'm happy to ask to borrow or trade when we're quilting on Sundays or visiting. Yes, I might be then one to receive these if anything, God Forbid, should happen, but I'd rather have her here to quilt and chat and enjoy as we are great friends and very close!