Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What does quilting mean to you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-does-quilting-mean-you-t127631.html)

jojosnana 06-03-2011 05:04 PM

It gives me a reason to say I was up all night creating and have a smile on my face. I love everything about it. I especially love faces when I say I made this for you.....

Janice Thompson 06-03-2011 05:22 PM

Keeps my hand out of the cookie jar. In addition gets me a chance to try new techniques and color combinations. Sure beats watching the trash on TV

RkayD 06-03-2011 05:27 PM

I have to say right now its my sanity. I hope it grows into something productive someday. But I'm not worried about that part right now. I never realized how creative I could be until I REALLY started doing this quilting stuff that actually turns into art for me. I mean...really...I rarely ever make 2 of what I'm doing. Nor do I follow a pattern. I might like an idea and then run with it..The fabric ends up telling me what to do with it. Anybody else do that??

butterflies5518 06-03-2011 06:16 PM

Mine is a little bit of everyones response, chill pill, enjoyment, giving from the heart to others, weight control (can't eat and hand sew - or so I claim)

JACRN 06-03-2011 06:17 PM

Ithink it is because my mom was still quilting even when she was ill.lost her over21 years ago and miss her very much. I have the quilt she was working on when she passed and will finish it one day. she would be thrilled i am learning. Makes me feel closer to her.

pjemark 06-03-2011 06:38 PM

Quilting means to me- My mom had just got into quilting when she found out she had cancer. Funny thing is - she would have loved for me to get into the quilting- but i was busy raising a family and i was into scrapbooking at the time- then when she found out that she had cancer- we were both too busy to think about quilting- she was too busy trying to stay alive and i was too busy trying to keep my head above water while missing work- keeping up with the kids and going to the chemo etc with her. As it ended up- my mom passed away at the young age of 64. My aunt connie graciously bought her bernina and entire sewing room and she gave me the bernina. I thought- oh crap- i have been given this expensive sewing machine and now i have to use it . I mean, i always loved to sew ever since i learned to sew on my grandma's treadle- but life has a way of getting in the way of selfish hobbies while you are raising children. I took the machine and i put it in my office. I didn't want it at home because we have furbabies- actually grandfurbabies- and i knew that if it was at home i wouldn't let myself sew because the house wasn't clean enough or i had other things i should be doing. so i put it in my office-and I have to tell you- i absolutly adore my bernina- i adore the time i have to sew- and I adore my aunt connie for buying it for me. every time i sew on it i feel close to mom and every time i sew on it i remember how lucky i am to have an aunt connie

Stitchit123 06-03-2011 08:40 PM

It started out as a way to create ,but through the years it has saved the lives and limbs of husband and child :D --it kept me to busy to spend time worrying during years waiting for my transplant and these last 3 yrs I know its kept me sane since my husbands passing. Each and every quilt has strenghten me -they all contain more love than the receivers could ever imagine -so for me- - Quilting is Peace

deb24 06-03-2011 10:55 PM

I want to echo what everyone have said. I have not exactly starting quilting yet. I am working on my sewing room, buying fabrics, quilt books. I have a new sewing machine on layway. Working toward it. But I have always done some kind of craft hobby - the latest (which I probably have been doing for atleast 20 years) is plastic canvas and hook rugs. I figure it was time for a change. My DM and DGM were both into quilting or some kind of craft for their peace of mind. I am loving the time that I am spending just designing quilts. I am like what someone else has said "must be doing something with my hands and mind" besides the TV, family reseaching and reading. No children, and all of the main relatives are deceased now. But I must have this to do. Quilt desinging is peacefull. I am looking forward to the acutal quilting. Thanks to all of you. I know that I am not alone.

QultingaddictUK 06-03-2011 11:06 PM

For the past 6 years, the time I have been quilting, I have been happy. Happy spending all my money on gorgeous fabrics, colourful threads, batting and notions and in doing so changing people's lives. ALL my family now sleep under comfortable cheerful healthy quilts. Children who I have never and will never meet have the comfort of my Charity quilts and I am stress free and happy being a quilt addict.

I don't know how I would now manage without my quilting and don't intend to find out. :mrgreen:

CoventryUK 06-04-2011 01:01 AM

Keeps me sane in this mad world we live in!!!! Beats housework hands down!!!! Just wish I had started years earlier!!!!! Hopefully I will leave behind lots of memories for other people!!