Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What does quilting mean to you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-does-quilting-mean-you-t127631.html)

Borntohandquilt 06-02-2011 09:55 PM

Quilting means a lot to me. It's a wonderful craft, an art form and also something like a therapy and a good training for patience. Quilts have what I wish to have by myself: beauty, balance, structure, calmness and softness. When I quilt I feel complete...it's much more for me than hobby - it's passion, a little obsession and a lot of emotion.

MelodyWB 06-02-2011 10:41 PM

I consider it an art..as a matter of fact..I informed a lady of just that when she said "oh..I do crafts too" I told her I didn't do crafts..lol..it's my passion..my solace..my escape..love it !!!

earthwalker 06-02-2011 10:55 PM

Quilting to me is like gardening...practical and yet an art. When I sit surrounded by my animal companions and put needle and thread to fabric, it is almost a form of meditation. Quilting brings me peace.

klc 06-02-2011 11:56 PM

I love to create! I love learning and accomplishing something new. It is my gift to others, something I can leave for them to remember me by. It keeps me out of trouble and is very relaxing.

phatquilts2 06-03-2011 01:12 AM

Quilting is my challenge, passion, stimulation and therapy.

Being a part of this QB forum has provided opportunities for me to communicate with a diverse group of quilters.

On a local level, quilting is an amazing and thriving activity. Some of us have learned "quilt documentation".The state quilting associations are accumulating archival pictures and surveys to preserve their legacies.

We also give back to our community by donating quilts made with love and hope.

Happy Quilting. :D

Diana Lynne 06-03-2011 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
Is it a form of art, a craft, or a hobby for you? I want to know what you guys and gals think!

For me, it's a hobby that i want to perfect and make it into a work of art. It allows me to express myself in a way that I wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I can play with color and designs and it just makes me happy :).

Its all of the above for me..There is something about quilting that is relaxing even when I make a boo boo ..I normally do not like to sit still for long but when I am quilting I can sit for hours..

helou 06-03-2011 02:46 AM

Being a new quilter I just wanted to learn how it was done. I am very involved in genealogy and, as DebQuilter50 said, I think it is a way to reconnect with my mother and grandmother who made some quilts but that was before I was born and I am 62 yo.
I wish I would have seen them doing the quilts that ended up in my house after they were gone.
I am still learning so the whole process is still difficult for me but I like the result so far. Seeing fabrics getting a new look as it is pieced with different fabrics in different shapes is amazing and satisfying to me. As SherriB said: it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I see some blocks finished. I have not completed a whole quilt yet but I beleive I will be proud to see it done.

Plumtree 06-03-2011 03:25 AM

It brings me peace. If I were diagnosed with ADHD quilting would be my Adderall. Then to have something so beautiful at the end of my therpy makes it a win win for me.

mar32428 06-03-2011 03:45 AM

I echo what everyone of you have said!

Lavada 06-03-2011 03:49 AM

quilting for me is keeping a tradition going forward from our early settlers of the united states its gives me the feeling of accomplishment of knowing our mothers great grandmothers and all other women and gentlemen brought this craft for us to love and enjoy