Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what was the first sewing machine you ever used (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-sewing-machine-you-ever-used-t73273.html)

Annya 10-31-2010 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by litacats
I learned to sew on my mothers treadle singer machine in the late 50s then I had the last of the long bobbins treadle machine can't remember the brand after I got married, then I traded up to a singer with cams for decorative stitches, loved them all. had the singer for all my children's clothes even made my sons first good suits on it, then i got a brother that I had for many many years then my Bernette, AND now my husky YAY

deltadawn 10-31-2010 02:30 AM

A hand singer as a child - I have now been given that singer 30 something years later!

plainpat 10-31-2010 02:33 AM

Don't know what I learned on in Home Ec...prob a Singer.
Then bought a Sears Kenmore for DD to use in 4H.Brand new, it was $50 & I used it to make DD's clothes etc.That was my only machine for well over 20 yrs.Then got a Husquvarna & a Singer FW.
Both were sold & my Bernina came home to live :-)

Originally Posted by litacats
I learn't to sew on my mothers treadle singer machine in the late 50s then I had the last of the long bobbins treadle machine can't remember the brand after I got married, then I traded up to a singer with camms for decorative stitches, loved them all. had the singer for all my childrens clothes even made my sons first good suits on it, then i got a brother that I had for many many years then my bernette, AND now my husky YAY

barbsmith 10-31-2010 02:35 AM

I learned to sew on my mother's White treadle sewing machine in the early 50s. She later purchased a Montgomery Ward electric machine, which was recently given to me by my sister, who has had it since our mother passed away. I still sew on my Singer 401A which I purchased in 1961. It is still going strong.

Joan Rosemary 10-31-2010 02:39 AM

Those brilliant Singer Treadle machines have a lot to answer for. LOL. Me too back in the fifties./

Aussie Quilter 10-31-2010 02:49 AM

My grandmother's 1920 Wertheim sewing machine with a shuttle bobbin. After Nan passed away Pop gave it to me.

Linda1 10-31-2010 04:54 AM

A singer treadle in the early 60's.

Roberta 10-31-2010 06:00 AM

I used an Alden. I know, huge brand name recognition there folks. My hubby bought it for our first Christmas together after our Dec. 19 marriage. It was old by Fingerhut I believe and the only one that had time payments at the time. We were as poor a church mice back then in 1963 and it's coming full circle I'm afraid.

dar627742 10-31-2010 06:17 AM

i learned to sew on gram's treadle that she'd had electrified [?] the only thing she'd let me sew were flour sack dish towels[this was about1952....ugh}until i learned to sew a straight seam.well,guess what ? i never got any further !
when my eldest daughter moved out ,i gave it to her.went to help her move & found the machine & cabinet OUTSIDE leaning against the house under the eaves !!!!!!!!!! totally ruined.it's been 34 yrs,& as you can tell,i've STILL not gotten over it !kids...........

Antdebby1 10-31-2010 06:21 AM

I learned to sew on my mother's White sewing machine. Stupid me, not thinking, I gave the machine to a charity organization when I moved.