Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is a good material for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-good-material-quilting-t116962.html)

peacebypiece 04-17-2011 08:22 PM

Hello Nannie,
Buy your fabric wherever you see what you like and, feel you can afford. JoAnn's fabric is just fine. By the time our quilts we are making today wear out we won't be around to care. If it wears out it means is was used a lot, aka well liked.

peacebypiece 04-17-2011 08:22 PM

Hello Nannie,
Buy your fabric wherever you see what you like and, feel you can afford. JoAnn's fabric is just fine. By the time our quilts we are making today wear out we won't be around to care. If it wears out it means is was used a lot, aka well liked.

mrsk 04-17-2011 08:26 PM

You have made a great decision to take a quilt class! When you sign up for the class they will probably give you a list of items to get before the class starts, & the list should include what kinds, weights, or types of fabrics they recommend for your class, as well as how much the suggest you get to finish the project. Just do a little research to make sure you sign up for a BEGINNERS class! Have fun & post what you get to make!

feline fanatic 04-17-2011 08:32 PM

Hi Nannie, welcome to the board.

The soundest advice you will ever get on what kind of fabric should I buy... Buy the best you can afford.

I have found this to be a very good source for quilt shop quality fabric at very reasonable prices.

http://www.quiltingcotton.com/cgi-bi..._bargains.html

I do not like JoAnnes Keepsake calico fabric. But they do have some nice cottons in other lines, such as South Sea Imports but they are no cheaper then a local quilt shop and the quilt shop will give you much better service and assistance.

TonnieLoree 04-17-2011 08:37 PM

Welcome to the show! This can be 24/7 of learning, fun and entertainment spent with one of the finest groups of quilters out there. If you have a question, it will get answered. Several times!

I am curious why anyone would tell you not to shop at Joann's. It sounds like a disgruntled employee or unsatisfied customer. That happens everywhere, at any store. So, while shopping at a LQS might be most peoples preference, Joann's and others are practical and economical alternatives. You can almost feel the anguish when you read "my Joann's is closing", or feel the joy when someone writes "Walmart is bringing back fabrics!"

Don't be surprised if you find yourself reading these boards more often than you spend sewing. If they're is a glitch somewhere and you can not get in, withdrawals will overtake rationality and sensibility and your sanity. :-)
I say that with a smile though.

Welcome to the greatest show on earth. Quilt show, that is. I live in Oregon and have been quilting seriously for the last 20 years. I still consider myself an undergraduate. Not a day goes by that I don't learn something new. (It is most helpful to take a look at the "Tips Page". If you follow the link, you will have a world of valuable information at your fingertips. Also read the Acronyms so you don't think we all are nuts when we talk about our UFO's, WIP's, TOADs or PIGS. It will all make sense sooner or later.

BETTY62 04-17-2011 08:44 PM

A big welcome from East Texas. I know you are going to love quilting.

nannie1954 04-17-2011 08:44 PM

Thank everyone that has answered my question. They had also told me not to buy walmart material also. They said it is too cheap. I think I would rather buy it there, if i find what i want, the prices are a little cheaper and i don't want to invest a whole lot on my First quilt. I want to make a quilt, purse and so many other things that i am getting myself confused on what I want to do first. I better take the class and get started on something. I seen the bow tuck purse a lady made and it was beautiful. I want that also. So much to think about.

Flying_V_Goddess 04-17-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by nannie1954
Does anyone order their material online? Do you have a good website I could look at? Also I was going to purchase embroidery thread and that is 3.25 a spool. Its been a long time since I have bought thread and this seems outrageous. Is there a good place to order embroidery thread online.

There's lots and lots of quilting websites to buy fabric from. Here's a few:

Hancock's of Paducah: hancocks-paducah.com
Missouri Star Quilts: missouriquiltco.com
Sea Watch Fabrics: seawatchfabrics.com
Fat Quarter Shop: fatquartershop.com
Quilt Kits Online: quilt-fabrics-online.com/index.php (I believe this one is run by a member on this board)

grammysews4u 04-17-2011 09:02 PM

welcome! i shop @ joann's made mant quilts from thwere fabric

earthwalker 04-17-2011 10:09 PM

Hello, welcome...lots of advice, so I won't contribute too much more. Besides I live in Australia, so have no clue about where/how much you should be paying. I can understand you not wanting to spend the earth on your first quilt, but whatever fabric you decide on...make sure you like it. Quilts have a way of lasting for years...so pick a design and colour that appeals to you, go to class and then hop back here and show us pics (we love pics) and sing out if you need help. This is a great place to learn, make friends and quilt to your hearts content.