Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is a good material for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-good-material-quilting-t116962.html)

ckcowl 04-18-2011 01:34 AM

many people purchase their fabrics from Joannes and Walmart- they still make nice quilts!
visit a few local quilt shops if you have any around you- compare fabrics and buy what you like. if you don't like the fabric you will not enjoy working with it.
joannes and walmart both (at times) have some nice fabrics- others not so much-
to start buy 100% cottons- you will find them easiest to work with while learning.

hobbykat1955 04-18-2011 02:58 AM

Advise...for your first quilt don't spend allot per yd on fabric at a QS...go to Joann's. It's your first and if you screw up and spent allot of money...you'll kick yourself.
I never put allot of money into fabric when learning a new technique...because I know abt screw ups in cutting, in piecing etc...
They probably get a break at the local QS for suggesting buy there...sending new customers to them.
Good luck have fun but don't spend allot on supplies.

Happy Tails 04-18-2011 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by nannie1954
Does anyone order their material online? Do you have a good website I could look at? Also I was going to purchase embroidery thread and that is 3.25 a spool. Its been a long time since I have bought thread and this seems outrageous. Is there a good place to order embroidery thread online.

I buy a lot from Connecting Threads and recently have made substantial orders from Missouri Star Quilt Company. Totally happy with my purchases :)

newquilter10 04-18-2011 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by nannie1954
Does anyone order their material online? Do you have a good website I could look at? Also I was going to purchase embroidery thread and that is 3.25 a spool. Its been a long time since I have bought thread and this seems outrageous. Is there a good place to order embroidery thread online.

I have bought material from Fabric.com and Hancocks of Puducah and have had no problems.

Xylie55 04-18-2011 03:25 AM

Hi,I agree with everybody that says to shop where ever.The main thing is to feel and scrunch the fabric so you can get a idea of how thick or thin it is.Try to stay with 100% cotton.And do go to you-tube and watch Sharon Schambers videos on how to make quilts.She has the MOST valuble tips you will ever need and short cuts,and how to glue match your seams,as well as why you NEED to starch.She'll show you how to bind,miter,all the easy way with perfect seams.And don't forget the feel and scrunch the fabric.Any questions,ask here,there's so many talented quilters here on this board that will help you out.And yes,JoAnns,Walmart have great fabric too.Just don't get thin ones.Feel and scrunch for thickness.Good luck.

Holice 04-18-2011 03:26 AM

get good quality thread even if it is expensive. Buy at JoAnn's when they have 50% sale. Also check the thrift stores. Sometime you can get good thread there very inexpensive. If it is still strong it will be ok

Marion Jean 04-18-2011 03:32 AM

Just a suggestion: If you plan to shop at JoAnn's, sign up for their mailings. They always have at least one coupon in their circulars for 40% off, and they have some good sales. I'm going to buy thread today while it's 40% off. Have fun quilting -I dabbled for a while, then became addicted after my first class :)

Carol Wilson 04-18-2011 03:36 AM

Welcome from "Down Under" Australia.

Carol Wilson 04-18-2011 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Marion Jean
Just a suggestion: If you plan to shop at JoAnn's, sign up for their mailings. They always have at least one coupon in their circulars for 40% off, and they have some good sales. I'm going to buy thread today while it's 40% off. Have fun quilting -I dabbled for a while, then became addicted after my first class :)

These beautifull dogs on your Avatar what breed are they?

Carol Wilson 04-18-2011 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Marion Jean

These beautifull dogs on your Avatar what breed are they?