Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what a mess (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-mess-t46624.html)

Deecee 05-23-2010 11:34 PM

You have received loads of good advice here.

The only thing I would add is a tip I was given. Find some fabric with a large floral print and just practice sewing around the flowers and leaves - over and over again. This will help you gain more control and confidence over smooth curves and circles by having a guide to follow.

Irish Jan 05-24-2010 03:24 AM

I am glad you decided to take out the stitches and the advice here is excellent. the quilt is beautiful and worth saving. I also had problems trying to machine quilt and I went back to hand quilting - takes longer but I feel I have more control. good luck!

Rettie V. Grama 05-24-2010 06:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think it is fabulous! Having been a quilter most of my life, now at 82 years old, I can see the beauty of a beginner quilter.

Please don't take the stitches out, just embellish a little more with appliques or embroidery.

Good Luck! When you make your next quilt decide on your quilting design before you make more than one block.

These are a couple of my latest. Quilting around middle blocks was the challenger.

Sun Bonnet Sue for Granddaughter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72541[/ATTACH]

Transformer quilt for Grandson
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72542[/ATTACH]

gmcsewer 05-24-2010 06:52 AM

Your quilt is a geometric design and so I think the quilting should be angular. If you want to try out a design, mark it out on clear plastic such as a sheet protector and lay it on your quilt. You will be able to see how the design fits the block without actually marking on the quilt. There are little rubber finger tips for using with FMQ. I use these because they are small and I only wear them on my pointer fingers and thumbs and it gives me a better grip on the fabric. I also find that it makes a difference how high my arms are in relation to the bed of the machine. We have an adjustable chair so I experiment to see where my best level is. Your top is so beautiful. Maybe you should be a piecer and let someone else do the quilting.

gmcsewer 05-24-2010 06:58 AM

The design in the bottom row, middle, looks like it matches the design of the quilt. Since all the blocks are the same design, I think it would look better when finished if all the blocks had the same quilting pattern. I have such a time when i "do my own thing" as it usually doesn't turn out as I thought. So I am now following patterns and the APQ magazine even has the quilting patterns suggested.

nanabirdmo 05-24-2010 05:45 PM

I personally like the idea of having a glass of wine before beginning. lol 8-) :thumbup: 8-)

sahm4605 05-24-2010 06:34 PM

as a breast feeding mother the glass of wine is not on the menu, and as a young women with Alci's in the family and one who was starting to become one I "can't" drink. Don't even want to go there again. Even though that would probably help me out a lot. hehe
I am happy to report that I am down to only 3 and sort of a half of of a square of quilting left to remove. it was going faster than I had imagined. YEAH!!!! I think that I am going to go with the squares in squares in a lighter color thread. There is a good sale in thread at a local sewing machine shop. Only a dollar a roll for the silky thread.
I like the idea of hand quilting and FMQ, however I have no idea how to hand quilt and the FMQ, well I had tried to do that and it only got me birds nests in the quilt. Those are really really hard to get out right now. That was with the feed dogs down. I did better with the feed dogs up. Don't ask me why it worked better but it did. I wish that I had a ton of money to get all the cool gadgets that make quilting "easier" and more fun but will have to be patient and save up for them. Oh such a life of a quilter who is not a trillion air. hehe. :-) we all have learned to survive with what we have and dream about what we don't. hope everyone is enjoying their quilts.

brushandthimble 05-24-2010 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I plan on taking every single quilt stitch out tonight and for the next bunch of nights. it will be a pain but in the end will make a better quilt. I wasn't trying to make a picture just trying to make something pretty, after the first one i got mad and kept going. my own fault. figured that I would just take it out anyway. talk about biting off my own nose right? I think that I will see about heading to a local quilt shop and asking them if one of them could help me quilt it together because if i have someone sitting with me for a few min looking over my shoulder telling me what i am doing wrong It will be better. The more comments the better right? in quilting you can never have too much help in making it right. well at least to me.

google skinning a quilt, it will be faster to take out the stitches.
I would SID around the blocks to stabilize them before doing any quilting inside the blocks.

sahm4605 05-24-2010 06:45 PM

[quote=StitchinJoy]

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy

The regular designs are more difficult, and the random designs are simpler. Here is an interesting blogger who is machine quilting on her domestic machine and trying to come up with a different design every day. She has some beauties that are a nice change from stippling and no harder. Practice practice practice.

quote]

And HERE is the web link: http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

stitchinjoy, what is the attatchment that she is using on her machine? and is there one like that for a Janome. I have been using a regular foot on mine. I need to get a 1/4 foot so that I can make my seams easier and I think that I will be able to move my fabric better if I have a foot on there that doesn't squish the fabric so much. I know that I should know what all the feet are called that you can us when sewing especially for quilting but I have never seen one like that.

garysgal 05-24-2010 06:54 PM

there is a really neat foot called the Big Foot and is good for FMQ. I have also used a darning foot-it looks like a wire that is coiled into a funnel shape, and it works well for me too.