Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what a mess (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-mess-t46624.html)

StitchinJoy 05-25-2010 04:07 AM

[quote=sahm4605]

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy

Here is an interesting blogger who is machine quilting on her domestic machine and trying to come up with a different design every day. She has some beauties that are a nice change from stippling and no harder. Practice practice practice.

quote]

And HERE is the web link: http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

stitchinjoy, what is the attatchment that she is using on her machine? and is there one like that for a Janome. I have been using a regular foot on mine. I need to get a 1/4 foot so that I can make my seams easier and I think that I will be able to move my fabric better if I have a foot on there that doesn't squish the fabric so much. I know that I should know what all the feet are called that you can us when sewing especially for quilting but I have never seen one like that.

Hi Sahm,
Leah Day says on her website that she sews with a Juki TL98 QE and she uses the foot that comes with it, modified with an open toe.

You do need a good 1/4" foot. It really helps with accurate piecing.

I have enough alcoholics in my family to start our own AA meeting. It's smart for you to avoid the wine. How about some great music and your beverage of choice. I am happy with a big cup of coffee most of the year, or a big glass of lemonade when it gets hot and humid. And listening to your favorite band can really get your rhythm going good when you are machine quilting. I always have music playing when I dance with my longarm machine. Music is magical.

So glad you are having an easy time ripping out.

sahm4605 05-25-2010 04:23 AM

I many times have a giant cup of tea or jug of water or juice. and I am usually "watching" TV. well more of listening to the tv. just to help me focus. hubby has been taking to the NBA finals so I pull out the machine and he gets mad and turns up the TV. hehe.
will have to look around for the open toe foot. hehe sounds like a major medical problem hehe.

hcarpanini 05-25-2010 04:28 AM

A+ for effort. Try some gentle curves near the ditch and use a thread to match the fabric. Don't give up. With practice it will get easier. Show us your 2nd try.

sahm4605 05-25-2010 06:40 PM

I have wonderful news. I am working on my last block to rip out. YEAH!!!!!. I am giving up for the night though because my eyes are having trouble keeping focus. I also have a new love in my life. My brand spanking new 3 dollar razor knife that I got today at Jo Anns. Have put a couple of small holes in the fabric but nothing that I can't fix by sewing over. a little embroydery here and there on a block or three will look cute I think. All those that don't have a razor knife I will scream it from the mt. tops. GO OUT AND GET ONE because they make rippin and pickin easier.

quiltyjax 05-26-2010 01:27 AM

I'm a beginner too and I think you're very brave to put a picture of your quilt up on the board - no-one has seen my first efforts! It really isn't as easy as it looks. But what all the others say about practice is so true. I sew large squares of fabric together until I have roughly a lap quilt size, sandwich and then go for it. Feathers, meandering , leaves what ever. Then I cut them up, make simple grocery bags of them and gave them away. This means my practice time is productuctive twice over - I get better (in theory anyway!) and there's something to show my husband for the hours he hears the machine going! So now I still keep my practice quilt and just do the pattern I want to on my "real" quilt to get me "warmed up" and in time I'll have a few more grocery bags to give away.

GailG 05-26-2010 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltyjax
I'm a beginner too and I think you're very brave to put a picture of your quilt up on the board - no-one has seen my first efforts! It really isn't as easy as it looks. But what all the others say about practice is so true. I sew large squares of fabric together until I have roughly a lap quilt size, sandwich and then go for it. Feathers, meandering , leaves what ever. Then I cut them up, make simple grocery bags of them and gave them away. This means my practice time is productuctive twice over - I get better (in theory anyway!) and there's something to show my husband for the hours he hears the machine going! So now I still keep my practice quilt and just do the pattern I want to on my "real" quilt to get me "warmed up" and in time I'll have a few more grocery bags to give away.

What a COOL idea!!

sahm4605 05-26-2010 06:41 PM

GailG, that looks like my little girl. same sweet look. then she looks up with a devilish grin that would stop traffic. hehe.

Well I am finally done ripping. YEAH YEAH YEAH!!! Lets do a happy dance. The razor made it go like butter. Now to get it sandwiched again and try a different pattern. Here's to tomorrow nights sewing session. lets keep our fingers crossed.

GailG 05-27-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
GailG, that looks like my little girl. same sweet look. then she looks up with a devilish grin that would stop traffic. hehe.

Well I am finally done ripping. YEAH YEAH YEAH!!! Lets do a happy dance. The razor made it go like butter. Now to get it sandwiched again and try a different pattern. Here's to tomorrow nights sewing session. lets keep our fingers crossed.

Woo Hoo!! I'm doing the happy dance {{{{{jigglejiggle}}}}}}}.

That little girl is my great granddaughter when she was about 3 or 4. She has these huge baby blue eyes that are framed by long brown eyelashes. Of course, she's beautiful and loves animals, especially horses. She will be in first grade come fall.

sahm4605 05-27-2010 01:32 PM

that sounds like my dd. your ggd must be my dd's dauple ganger (not sure of spelling). dd is only a little over 2. hehe she loves animals too.

GailG 05-27-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
that sounds like my dd. your ggd must be my dd's dauple ganger (not sure of spelling). dd is only a little over 2. hehe she loves animals too.

You're amazing. I just went back to read your biography. How in the world can you quilt with a two-year-old and an 8-mo. old? (Of course, when I was young and had little ones (3), I made all of the girls' and my clothes, plus I was a teacher.) I suppose "we do what we gotta do." Right? My house was not a showplace, but...........