Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what a mess (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-mess-t46624.html)

Butterflyblue 05-23-2010 02:04 PM

Is the batting cotton? I have found that washing quilts made with cotton batting gives them that nice wrinkled look AND hides a multitude of quilting sins.

I've used several different methods for marking designs, the most successful being marking the design on tissue paper, stitching through it, and then ripping the paper off when I was done. Chalk works okay, too, but tends to rub off too easily. For straight lines I use masking tape a lot.

bob1414 05-23-2010 02:06 PM

Have you considered adding a lot more machine quilting to try and cover up some of the crooked lines that you don't like? Maybe if there's a whole bunch of quilting, you won't notice it. Not sure....... Good luck and don't beat yourself up!!!

dsb38327 05-23-2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Is the batting cotton? I have found that washing quilts made with cotton batting gives them that nice wrinkled look AND hides a multitude of quilting sins.

I've used several different methods for marking designs, the most successful being marking the design on tissue paper, stitching through it, and then ripping the paper off when I was done. Chalk works okay, too, but tends to rub off too easily. For straight lines I use masking tape a lot.

Butterflyblue: I like this idea.

sahm, If I didn't have a deadline on the quilt I would keep it as it is for reflection and encouragement. There will be a time later when you know what you want to do.
Thank-you for sharing. This post has helped me learn about FMQ.
The best for you.
Regards, Dorothy

Rose Lee 05-23-2010 04:36 PM

I agree, the best remedy is to pull out the stitches. Then pin, pin, pin. You could quilt on the diagonal lines from corner to corner, left to right, etc. Then you might quilt the line going up and down. In other words, follow your pattern lines, simpler to do, or just meander throughout.

seabolt22 05-23-2010 05:13 PM

I have a hereditary tremor so FMQ is not possible for me. I can do a diagonal cross hatch and it suits me and I have mastered it. My quilts may not be quilt show quilts but I'm not making them for that.

dizzy 05-23-2010 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
tell me what I have done wrong please. I am trying to quilt this but not sure how to make it look better.
it is all bumpy, and the quilting looks like a 2 year old did it. plus i couldn't make up my mind what pattern to do or how to do it.

been there an done that on a hand quilted quilt that I was making for my grandson an my son helped me tear it out an it went a whole lot faster the way I done it.but your quilt is pretty.

eiltcoq 05-23-2010 07:43 PM

I'm not an expert, but I would draw a pattern on the squares with the 'blue marker'. It will wash out when you wash your quilt. One of your pieces has a blue rose in the fabric. Try using that as a pattern. Use a lighter blue thread to quilt and have your quilting (circles) spaced evenly apart. One of my machine quilting teachers told me that a Circle defines a feminine quilt and a straight line or square defines a male quilt. These are just my thoughts. Eiltcoq.

Lyncat 05-23-2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shibori
I think it was some kind of scalpel. An exacto knife would work too.

I have a seam ripper that has a blade like that. I think I got it from Nancy's Notions catalog. It's great!

garysgal 05-23-2010 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I plan on taking every single quilt stitch out tonight and for the next bunch of nights. it will be a pain but in the end will make a better quilt. I wasn't trying to make a picture just trying to make something pretty, after the first one i got mad and kept going. my own fault. figured that I would just take it out anyway. talk about biting off my own nose right? I think that I will see about heading to a local quilt shop and asking them if one of them could help me quilt it together because if i have someone sitting with me for a few min looking over my shoulder telling me what i am doing wrong It will be better. The more comments the better right? in quilting you can never have too much help in making it right. well at least to me.

You have a really good attitude. I know it will turn out fine. If anything, it is a learning tool. the more you quilt, the better you will get. Hang in there!

babyquilter 05-23-2010 09:21 PM

Sahm Please be gentle with yourself. You're not wrong---just needing some instruction and practice. After taking the stitches out, you might consider lowering the feed dogs. Makes moving the "sandwich" easier. I've been quilting more than 20 years and somedays removing stitches is what I do best! You have sooooo much company out her in Quilted Paradise! Good luck. It I lived closer, I'd happily help you take out those stitches.